• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission/t-case fluid questions.

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
First, my 2001 owners manual says for the 4.0L, that only fluid changes are recommended, and for the 2.5L, that a fluid change, band adjustment, and filter replacement are recommended.

Does the AW4 not require band adjustment and filter changes?

Also, can I use Dexron (Valvoline Maxlife) in the transfer case, even though it calls for ATF +3/+4?

I don't know the answer to the band adjustment question.

I did normal fluid changes in the AW4 until 120,000. Then I dropped the pan and did the filter also. It had a lot of crap caught in the filter (screen). So I would recommend changing it sooner than 120,000. The filter came with a gasket at NAPA. Be sure to tell them it's an AW4 (Asine-Warner). For some reason, they come up with a Chrylser transmission in the computer.

I recall reading somwehere the bands are not adjustable in the AW4. I will try to find where I read that, and let you know.

The filter is just a sump screen, and can be cleaned and reinstalled. Replace with a gasket from cut material or use LocTite 518 Gasket Eliminator to replace.

Service fill is four quarts of Dexron II/III, and the filter does not use any extra capacity.

There is no band adjustment in the AW4, it is theoretically self-adjusting.

Oh - by all reports, the clutches in the AW4 don't like synthetic fluid, so stay away from that. I think the MaxLife is still "natural," so that should be fine.

Remember, HEAT IS THE ENEMY!

5-90

Back