• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

insurance question...

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
Like many of you, my rig would cost MUCH more to replace than what the insurance company would give me for a stock vehicle. Is saving reciepts for mods enough, or do most of you have extra insurance coverage for added-on accesories?
TIA!

My insurance agent wheels a lifted TJ....so I feel like I got a better answer to my question when I asked the same thing.

She said to keep all my receipts. If the rig was stolen or trashed, then they wouldn't give me my money back for each part, but they would figure out what the going rate for a jeep with those mods would be on the market.....and they would give me that amount.

Through state farm it isn't possible to insure your vehicle for more than what it's worth. At least that's what she said.

Brian

I can answer this one from personal experience I had a '95 XJ with lift roof rack and other little mods. It got stolen and the insurance company asked what was in it I said it had a lift roofrack ect. ect. and they asked if I had reciepts. I said some and I got $1000 more than I paid for it after having it a year and a half. So now I save all reciepts I can.

When I had my YJ stolen, they would only replace things that 'went with the vehicle'. For instance...roof rack, cd player etc. Stuff like the expensive pair of shoes in the back...yeah right. Keep the receipts(even though I didnt but still got the reimbursement for the stuff). Oh, plus they didnt really ask for them. I just kinda itemized the stuff that was on there.Jts

You know, homeowners insurance might cover the other stuff.

I just went though this when some one wanted my winch and took the bumper with it plus about 700 in tools and about 60 cds. they cover the bumper and winch witch i made out on but they wouldn't cover the tools and i'm fighting about the cds. as long as it is attacted to the jeep and you have prove that it was there you should be fine. but be carefull they almost totaled my jeep since the claim was more than book value on my jeep.

Lot,s of classic car users have an "Agreed value" on their cars/street rods. One company is Grundy www.Grundy.com
check them out
Wayne

question

It is up to the underwritting to make the final call. I do work as an insurance agent. We just sale it and don't make the final call. But if you save everything, like I have done that might get you something. But if you have a lot of money into it, get it apprased by someone to determine the value. This will show the insurance company the cost of the Jeep with everything one it. I had mine done, 88' 4.0, 6.5" lift Swampers, new paint job, new engine, ARB, the works. Now to the company (Allstate) it is only worth 2000.00. After I had everything worked up with the apprased paper work. 10,500.00 So if I ever wreck it or it gets stolen I'll get some money back. Also grudy is a place to check at, but no jeep that is beyond stock would be covered they only deal with cars and trucks over 25years old.

Yeah, I had never heard of Grundy but there are two "big" names in classic car insurance, J. C. Taylor and one other. I checked with both awhile ago and they have a minimum age requirement that an XJ won't meet yet, plus both told me they won't insure anything with 4 wheel drive.

As to accessories, my insurance company's policy is that the vehicle insurance covers anything that is "permanently" installed. A replacement stereo head properly installed IN the dash would be covered, but anything hung off the bottom of the dash (like a CB, or maybe a satellite radio converter) would not be.

Clothes, shoes, cameras, tools and such are covered under homeowner's insurance. If you rent, be sure your tenant's policy covers such things.

Clothes, shoes, cameras, tools and such are covered under homeowner's insurance.

Compact discs, though, are specifically excluded from both auto and home. Be careful with 'em, 'cause neither policy will cover a loss...

Back