• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ring gear

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
OK I got the axles out. I've slid them out about 10". Now I am having trouble getting the ring gear out. I took the caps off, but it only comes out a little on both sides. Is there something else that needs to come off. I have the disco. So far I don't even see how that works. Do I have to unhook any of that and where. Man everything acts welded. One plus the bearing races look great. I sure don't want to scar those up. Any help is great. Thanks for the super fast answers too. :peace:

Get a big effing pry bar and go to town :D You just need to take the shafts out and take the bearing caps off(marking which goes where and how) and pry away. Mine definetly took a lot of convincing to take out and I can't imagine how much trouble I'd have getting my new one out without a case spreader :x

Whoa!

Disconnect? Are we talking a front axle on an early XJ with the vacuum disconnect axle? If so, the front axle on the passenger side has a 2-piece shaft and when you pull the hub all you get is the outer. The inner is probably still engaged with the spider gear in the carrier.

verrive said:
Get a big effing pry bar and go to town :D You just need to take the shafts out and take the bearing caps off(marking which goes where and how) and pry away. Mine definetly took a lot of convincing to take out and I can't imagine how much trouble I'd have getting my new one out without a case spreader :x

pry bars are R&P tools for barkeaters and rednecks. its a great way to stretch and damage bearings, and skin knuckles.

working on differentials requires care and finesse. there is no need to go the fred flintstone route.

put an open end wrench on the a ring gear bolt, and rotate the pinion until the wrench contacts the top of the housing so that the wrench is pointed at the ceiling. continue to rotate the pinion, and the carrier will "cam" itself out.

Yes it is an 88 XJ. I took the hub and axle out on both sides. Does this mean I still have to get the axle out of carrier and if so how ? You say a 2 piece axle you mean one axle per side , Right ? I have already removed both , or I'm I missing something EAGLE ? I will defintely try Beezils way. I'm still a little lost though. Can someone clear up the 2 piece axle thing. I'm assuming it is one short axle on the drivers side and the long axle on the passenger side. If there is more please explain how to remove it from the carrier. Thanks

What is meant is there is a 2 piece shaft on the long side. That is how the disco works. It disconnects the shaft so the outer is not getting power. I am not sure how to remove these,you may have only removed the part that unhooks for the disco, which would leave the inner shaft so you can not pull the carrier. I have only dealt with the non disco 30s. I am sure some one can tell you how to do this. Hope this helps.

The inner axle of the disconnect style front axle is secured with a clip in the carrier. Look at it and you will see a snap ring securing the inner axle like a c-clip in the rear c-clip axles. Remove this ring and you're able to push the axle out.

You may also remove the shift motor from the axle housing to get easier access to the inner axle shaft.

quite often thats not the case. out of all the front ends I have regeared, only once did I have a clip. most of the time you just have to pull the vac housing and slid the shaft out. use a rag to get ahold of the inner shaft, theyh are slippery.
XJoachim said:
The inner axle of the disconnect style front axle is secured with a clip in the carrier. Look at it and you will see a snap ring securing the inner axle like a c-clip in the rear c-clip axles. Remove this ring and you're able to push the axle out.

You may also remove the shift motor from the axle housing to get easier access to the inner axle shaft.

Back