• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for power and economy mods on non-ho motors

sportsguy

NAXJA Forum User
So I took the plunge backwards and bought my 89 Comanche. Got rid of the 94 Cherokee.

It's all good, but there is a lot less out there for the older, non-ho motors in terms of bolt on's etc.

I'd appreciate any info folks have accumulated on finding things like thottle body spacers 9or plans to build one to fit the older motors), sources for headers, etc.

That's the kind of stuff that's plentiful for the HO crowd, but less so for us non-HO folks.

...and I have searched and will continue...here, JU, Google, etc...just wanted to collectively pick the brain power we're running with. :)

Borla makes (or made) an excellent header for the Renix 4.0L.

For economy you might look at the high-altitude CPS. It allows more advance when you don't need a lot of power (such as flat cruising w/ light load). Just be sure your knock sensor is working or you'll get a lot of detonation.

Keep in mind that you are asking for conflicting goals. Anything that increases performance will probably reduce economy, and anything that increases economy probably won't boost performance. (That's assuming, of course, that everything is tuned up and running well.)

Sorry guys - should have clarified that from the get go...

I'm looking for both ideas to be covered. I know I can't have both, but it's nice to know a TBS, for example, might give a .5 - 1.5 MPG improvement, which I would likely immediately counter by adding a header to boost torque, etc.

I'm not really looking to get more MPG - it would be nice - as it's a Jeep truck...it already gets better mileage than my Cherokee ever got...LOL

I've spent so much time researching HO stuff, I have little knowledge of non-HO stuff, so I'm open to learning about both sides of the effeciency/performance equation.

...and within 2 years I hope to be running a 4.6 - 4.7 HO stroker...so anything I do now will be simple/small. Just looking for the knowledge.

Back