• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing Fuel Filter...Problems!

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I'm trying to change my fuel filter and am getting really frustrated. I have a 1990 4.0 with the valve stem looking pressure relief. I depressed the valve stem looking thing as my Haynes manual says but when I started to undo the filter, gas still came streaming out. Is this supposed to happen or did I mess something up? Thanks in advance.
Collin

Hitting the valve stem will release any built up pressure in the system, but there is still going to be fuel in the system. And that filter has a bunch of fuel in it too. Just unhook it quick and throw the end in a 20 oz bottle. And don't get it all over your shirt. AND NO SMOKING! :firedevil

Yeah I got it all over my shirt earlier. I dont smoke so thats not a prob. So will fuel just continually come out of the lines or will it stop eventually?

Okay, thanks a lot.

If the filter is the same as the one on an 88 then it is the size of a soda can. It does hold a lot of fuel. Pull it off and place it in something then install the new one. Be carefull not to get it in your eyes or in your ear if you turn your head away, like I did. I don`t know which burned worse.

Yeah the filter is huge. I have had bad luck with the gas going everywhere including running down my arm. If it will slow down I guess I'll make an attempt at it, it just didnt look promising spraying everywhere like that.

For future reference, the Fram aftermarket filters usually have caps on each end; I use those when installing the filter to plug the old one.

That'll help as well. I guess I can just take one hose off at a time and cap each end of the old filter. Thanks Yucca-Man.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Loosen both ends but only remove one at a time. Keep the plug on one end of the filter and plug the open end of the filter into the line while capping the old filter...the order you do it depends a lot on your orientation under the Jeep.

I'll make a 2nd attempt tomorrow at it. Thanks a lot.

Back