• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

205 75 15 inch tires..rim size?

xjennyj

NAXJA Forum User
What is the maximum width rim size that I can mount my snow tires (205 75 15s)?

Thanks

The tires are about 8" wide, so you can mount them on rims up to 8" wide without any issues to worry about.

It is possible to mount them to wider rims, but then you will have to be very careful about inflation pressures to avoid problems. You will have to keep them somewhat over-inflated in order to keep them well seated. Over-inflating, however, will lead to uneven wear and can cause other issues as far as handling.

All in all, it would be best to limit the rims to 8" wide for these tires.

I just checked the Cooper Tire web site for ya. They list several tires in that size, with recommended rim widths from 5.0" up to 7.0" (depending on which tire). Jeep mounted those tires on 6.0" rims -- that's what came on my '88 XJ, in fact. Anything larger Jeep put on 7.0" rims.

You can run them on 8" rims but unless you already have them, I think you shouldn't go wider than 7".

http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/corporate/default.asp

Thank you guys. I have 8" rims, that is why I am wondering. I would like to take the big tires off this winter and slap some snows on.

Jen

205s will be okay on the 8" rims, but they're really puny tires. Unless you already have them, I'd suggest going with at least 215s or 225s. Those were both used as "stock" (i.e. from the factory) sizes on the XJ.

I'm running LT235/75/15's on stock rims and have absolutely no probs. I originally had 225's. If you go to the Tire Rack they list the oem size as 195 and the optional size as 205. Looking my truck right now I can't imagine how pathetic it would look. Nevermind that the extra width is nice off road. Just my 2 cents.

Marty

91' Cherokee 2dr 5-speed; 234,000 Kms.

Back