• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to find a neutrally balanced flexplate...

85Chief

NAXJA Forum User
I had my 3.4 delivered today and I need get a neutrally balanced flexplate. The local machine shop overcharges crazy on things to be done, so I was wondering if there was a place where I could pick one up for a decent amount of $$$. I did find this place ( http://www.engine-parts.com/GMV6/V6Marchdeals.html ), but it had 2 kinds of flexplates:

2.8L Stroker Automatic Transmission Neutrally Balanced Flexplate---$54.95
2.8L JEEP Neutrally Balanced Flexplate ---------------------------$149.95

What is so different?? What do I need (please say its the cheap one)
If anyone knows where I can get one, or has one they bought, please let me know where you got it from.
Thanks a bunch

I had read that some of the 2.8's in the later years came with the neutrally balanced flywheel, but couldn't find the link for you. Then I caught this at the end of the link you posted:

Other Important Information:

You MUST use a Neutrally balanced flywheel with this stroker engine! Some vehicles have this from the factory (i.e. most 1988 or newer 60-degree V6 engines). Please contact ARI for more information if needed.

I'd make a trip to the yard and get a used one or try a dealer and see what they get for a stock one that comes the way you want it.

I have done this swap. You have to run a Jeep flexplate because of the Chrysler trans (unless you are swapping in a GM trans). The torque converter is a different bolt pattern, and the GM flexplate sits 'deeper' into the bellhousing (if I remember right).

What's your machine shop wanting? Got it done here in IL for $40.

Edit: Hell, I just realized you're from Carlinville. Go check out B and H in Woodriver : (618)254-1500. They're north off 143, just east of the 143/rt3 junction. Email me if you need more info: [email protected]

Last edited:
Grizzley said:
I had read that some of the 2.8's in the later years came with the neutrally balanced flywheel, but couldn't find the link for you. Then I caught this at the end of the link you posted:

Other Important Information:

You MUST use a Neutrally balanced flywheel with this stroker engine! Some vehicles have this from the factory (i.e. most 1988 or newer 60-degree V6 engines). Please contact ARI for more information if needed.
Stroked 2.8's use the crank from a 3.1 or 3.4, 4mm more stroke, plus neutrally balanced crank. That's why they have to have a neutral flywheel. Make sure it's the right hole count for your torque converter.

1988 Fiero GT

GM flexplate won't allow you to run the Chrysler trans. They have different crank-to-converter depths.

Are any of you guys running the mpfi? I'm needing a belt and can't seem to find the right length with the AC compressor removed. The one I have is squeeking so bad I can't stand it.

Back