• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Spare shaft donor vehicles...

trailxj

NAXJA Forum User
looking for difinitive answers on what donors work for 98xj HP30

From what i can tell from searching

95+ xj shafts have large ujoing
abs tone rings can be knocked off for use on xj's without abs

pre 95, non disconnect shafts will work but have the 260 joints

Tj shafts will also work and have the large joints.

trailxj said:

yes, except many pre 95 with abs also have the larger joints.

trailxj said:

I think the 297s started in 89, but only with ABS...the cap diameter of a 297 is 1 3/16" as compared to 1 1/16" on the 260, so that is how to tell.

From what I have heard you can leave the ABS tone ring on the shaft, but when I put my ABS (297 ujoint) shafts in my 86 housing, I took the tone rings off.

You have to press the tonerings off...I couldnt get them off by hitting them, not much to get ahold of...

hjeepxj said:
I think the 297s started in 89, but only with ABS...the cap diameter of a 297 is 1 3/16" as compared to 1 1/16" on the 260, so that is how to tell.

From what I have heard you can leave the ABS tone ring on the shaft, but when I put my ABS (297 ujoint) shafts in my 86 housing, I took the tone rings off.

You have to press the tonerings off...I couldnt get them off by hitting them, not much to get ahold of...

To the best of my knowledge, the 297's did start in 89 with the Bendix 9 ABS system.

I agree that the tone rings are hard to get off but I was able to mount them in my vise and gently smack them with a 5 pound sledge and they finally gave up the fight.

John90XJ said:
I was able to mount them in my vise and gently smack them with a 5 pound sledge and they finally gave up the fight.

That takes patience! :D

I just took them to my dad's shop and spent 2 mins w/teh press.

:D

Back