• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trak-Lok question

skyblue

NAXJA Forum User
i bought my wife a 99 Cherokee and ordered it with the Trak-Lok.
i don't do any rock crawling, but really like how the Trak-Lok helps out in snow and mud and even wet asphalt, 95% of the time is spent on the streets and easy forest service trails in the mountains.

i just bought a used 2000 Cherokee that i don't think has the Trak-Lok. how can i tell from the outside? i don't have ABS and it looks like the Dana 35 rear axle.

a local 4wheel shop is going to put in a limited-slip, and i think they said it will be a 'spicer' limited slip. is this the same as the oem Trak-Lok? while they are doing it, should i have them do anything else to the rear end? it doesn't seem to leak anywhere, but i was thinking at least the axle seals since i think they need to pull out the axles to install the limited slip.... any thoughts?

The best way to tell if you have a Trac-Lok is to open up the diff and look. Next best is to take the VIN to a dealer and have the dealer print out a "build sheet" that shows all standard and optional equipment that was on your vehicle when it left the factory.

If the diff hasn't been worked on, there would be a tag on the diff telling you to use Trac-Lok friction modifier in the lube.

The physical tests assume that any Trac-Lok present is working. Simple test -- block the front wheels, put tranny in neutral (not Park) with parking brake OFF, jack up one rear wheel and try to turn it. If it turns, either no Trac-Lok or it isn't working. If you can't turn the wheel, or it offers significant resistance, you have a Trac-Lok.

The Trac-Lok is made by Dana/Spicer, so if the shop is going to install a Spicer unit, that's probably what you're getting. It's about the least expensive limited slip unit available.

Great.. thanks everyone for the ideas.

i'll try rotating the wheel first and maybe run the VIN anyway just to see what all this Jeep came with.

and the PowerTrax sounds like a good possibility.

i take it there are no clutches in it? does it go straight from open diff to locked up? or does it vary the slip up to full lock kind of like the Trak-Lok does?

The Powertrax No-Slip is a locker, not a limited slip. Good choice if what you're looking for is a locker, poor choice if you really wanted a limited slip.

When I had my auburn put in my 98's 8.25 last spring all bearings and seals were replaced as part of the install and were included in the price.

Back