• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Daystar lift

superscythe

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '98 XJ with BF Goodrich AT 235/75/15 tires. They do not rub, but after loading it with camping gear it may. Is the Daystar 1 3/4 front, 1 inch rear lift worth the money? I don't want a 3 inch lift...2 inch at most. Also mine is already lower in the back and I want to level it. Has anyone used this small lift before with good success? Anyone have pictures?
Thanks.

For your application it's not worth the money.

The rear lift on that kit is accomplished by installing longer shackles. That doesn't do anything to make the springs stronger, it just allows them to sag farther when loaded. Match that to a lift that puts the front of the vehicle higher than the back BEFORE loading, and you're going to have a very strange looking and funny driving XJ.

IMHO you would be much better advised to do as others have done: get a pair of used XJ stock rear springs, disassemble them, cut the eyes off the ends of the main leaves, and use the main leaves as add-a-leaves. This will give you about 1" to 1-1/2" of lift at the back, with a higher spring rate to help you carry all that gear. If after doing this you think the front isn't high enough, you can buy 3/4" front spacers to even things out a bit.

Back