• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie, saying "Hi!" and a few Q's...

napa90xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Everybody - been lurking for a while now, and thought I'd finally post and introduce myself and my 90 XJ... I'm from Nor-Cal, and bought my Jeep about 2 months ago... Bought it with a 3" lift and 31's... so far, I'm loving it. Before the Jeep, I had a 73 Blazer, 6", 35's, and that was fun, but the gas mileage was killing my wallet! (7 MPG... on the HIGHWAY!) The Jeep has been great so far. Here's a pic of it:

exterior.jpg

It's got the 4.0, aw4, np231...

I've got plenty of plans for the little XJ, but of course, money is always the biggest concern...

A few questions:

First off, what in the hell was this?

mystery%20thing.jpg

Also, eventually, I'm going to want to lift it some more. Since I already have a 3" lift, is it possible to just buy new springs (front and rear), so I wouldn't need to purchase a whole new lift kit? I realize I'd need a SYE, but is there anything else I'm not thinking of? As much as I'd like a LA system, I think it's a little out of my budget... I would just like to get another 2 inches or so, and fit some 33's...

Anyway, I guess that's all... for now ;) Also, If this is in the wrong forum, sorry.

Thanks!
Neil

you can always just add shackles and spacers to achieve the extra 2", but once you go above 3-4 you start to need things. trac bar lower control arms brake lines and i am sure there is more, also to turn those 33's better gears will be needed, or a very good tranny cooler.

napa90xj said:
It's got the 4.0, aw4, np231...

A few questions:

First off, what in the hell was this?

mystery%20thing.jpg

a little out of my budget... I would just like to get another 2 inches or so, and fit some 33's...

I'm pretty sure that was the sensor for old-school keyless entry...

I put 1.75" spacers on top of fresh 3" springs and it cleared 33" fine. I kept the OEM control arms, but I'd always recommend adding good upper & lower arms for both strength & angle improvement. If you retain the OEM for now, you can trim the rear edge of the lower shock mounts to increase down travel... .25" of metal gone there = a good bit more droop and relieves a 'hot spot' on the sheetmetal LCA. OEM YJ brake hoses allow this travel increase.

JKS makes a sweet pair of swaybar disconnects and adjustable trackbar... I don't have either yet but they are way up on the lust-list.

JKS and C-Rok make frame reinforcement for the steering. 33" and a few 'mild trips' through the woods made me a believer that this is almost a mandatory mod. I patched mine up with a C-Rok...either is a fine piece

Out back, you can add /swap around leaves and a slightly longer shackle, or just pop for 4.5" packs (which may get you some higher than the front)

4-door XJs make it less easy to clearance for 33+", two doors have ample room to trim.

HTH

Woody

Back