• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it a bad idea to remove the hood liner?

88woody

NAXJA Forum User
My hood liner is filthy, falling apart, and oil soaked. I want to take it off. Should I replace it? Will the engine bay temperature go up or down?

my '98 doesn't have one, from the factory. But i don't know you well enough to say "take it off, baby".

LOL...ive had my 93 XJ for over a year now and from the factory i'm pretty sure it didnt have one....i've had 3 sports cars from the 70s 80's and now 90's....each one the 70's trans am and the 86 firebird...my 92 mustang...had the stupid things and everytime i took it off i didnt notice a differnce...long term though i couldnt tell ya what might happen....i had my mustang for 3 years after taking off the liner and no difference. I'd say get rid of it for now...wait for some more responses and then get another one if there is something diff. about jeeps that need them.

My 98 does not have one either. If you wanted to you could probably replace it with a new one. Usually hood liners are part of a sound package, least thats what one of my customers told who makes all the insulation panels for GM...

88woody said:
My hood liner is filthy, falling apart, and oil soaked. I want to take it off. Should I replace it? Will the engine bay temperature go up or down?

Take it off..if the increased sound bugs ya, install another. Might radiate a lil more heat away from the engine..but I really doubt it would do that much for ya, that way. I could pass on the collected wisdom of the boards when I asked about sound deadening in the jeep: crank the stereo!

Back