• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch

Lou'sXJ

NAXJA Forum User
This weekend I tried installing a Banks header, centerforce clutch and Hurst Shifter. After two days of work, only the Banks header made it. I ran into a problem with a bolt found in the top center of the bellhousing. its right up against the firewall. looks like somekinda reverse torx bit. Any clues? What can i get the socket for this?

hmmm. My buddy and i did a swap a while back and had the same problem. I think he may have gotten it from sears. i would go to craftsman website and look under specialty tools. It's worth a shot at least. Good luck

When you get this figured out and done I'd sure like to see you come back with a little write-up. I have a manual transmission XJ also and am interested in how the Hurst shifter works out as well as how to swap clutches.

Do a search. I don't remember what size that bolt is but this question comes up frequently and has been answered many times.

Be advised that unless your XJ has been worked on before, there should be two of those puppies. The top two bolts holding the bell housing to the block used the torx head bolts. Dunno why -- some engineer obviously thought it made sense. Others do not agree -- several folks on this site (and other Jeep sites) have replaced those two bolts with conventional hex head bolts when reinstalling the bell housing.

Torx Bolts on Bell Housing

I would like to hear an explanation as to why the torx bolt is better than a hex bolt for this application.

Granted, these two bolts may be the most difficult to reach, but these torx heads are easily stripped using an air wrench with like three extensions. It makes no sense and next time I tear my clutch apart these bolts will be replaced.

Sometimes I think they deliberately choose these kinds of bolts, and various off sizes, specifically to make it difficult for the home mechanic.

Torx head bolts are easy to apply on an assembly line, they go faster with less tool wear. New vehicles go one step further, they have bolts called TORX PLUS which requires another set of sockets.

dmillion said:
Sometimes I think they deliberately choose these kinds of bolts, and various off sizes, specifically to make it difficult for the home mechanic.

But can you imagine being the Guy who invented all these headaches for us??

The BASTARD is RICH RICH RICH.....and it's really good for him cause torx like to break all the time...

Back