• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Used F250 - which one would you buy?

spaulman

NAXJA Member #769
I am going to look at two used F250's tomorrow. I am looking for a sturdy vehicle for occasional towing (XJ and Ford tractor) and minimal DD use (basically when the XJ is down). My target price is $4K but I'm willing to go up to $6K for the right truck. Extended cab is a must, 4WD would be nice for winter since the XJ is locked at both ends.

The first one is a 91 2WD extended cab 5.8L V8 standard. No rust, new tires, clutch, exhaust and brakes. Has a Reese hitch. The only problem that the owner is aware of is that it sometimes pops out of reverse. He said that it isn't a problem for him because he just listens for it to 'click' in and then it doesn't pop out. He is asking $3700.

The second is a 93 4WD extended cab 7.3L diesel (pre-Powerstroke) automatic. No rust, newer tires, new rearend, new steering box. The transmission was replaced last summer with a Jasper unit. It has a gooseneck in the bed and Reese hitch. Comes with a contractor cap and ladder racks that I would probably sell. No problem with cold starts. Needs an AC compressor. Asking price is $5500.

Neither of the owners are original owners although I personally know the owner of the 91. Both trucks have around 150K miles on them.

Any opinions on either of these trucks both from a reliability side and bang for the buck? Passing on both of them and waiting for a better truck/deal is also an option.

Personally im a diesel fan, I have a 93 dodge. empty i get 20 mpg and pulling my 2k camper and stock trailer with horses, another 5500lbs I still managed to get 13mpg. The old 85 ford 250 4x4 we had with the 460 got 8 mpg either way pretty much.7.3 are great engines, Ford trannies arent all that great. But then neither are dodges. One thing can say is the price of diesel repairs are 2-3 times what a gasser are. how bout a Dodge diesel? one can be had for the $ your lookin to spend. If your towin a lot youll never go back to a gasser again once you had a diesel. At 150 K the 5.7 is getting near its life, the diesel will last but consider the rest of the truck. I would keep lookin, there lots out there to be had.

I had a 93 ford f250 w/ 130,000 on it. With that being said the motor was really tired and was starting to use a little oil. I would go w/the diesel. I own 2 now. Nice to tow with, although not gonna win any races.

Back