• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone ever hear of a D30 RR with limited slip 3.73

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
found a listing for a 85-87 XJ front axle, 3.73 with limited slip?

DANA part # 610183-2 What diff would that be (if it is for real)

They also have a listing for an 84 XJ 3.31 with disconnect #610172-9

IIRC 3.31 is a SJ (full-size Jeep) ratio...didn't think it came on any XJs

DANA website no help to me for PN searches

clarification please & TIA

don't know about the limited slip, but I do know that the 3.31 gearing was for a "fuel economy package" or something like that on early XJs

the limited slip wouldn't surprise me. I had an 86 for a short while that was selectrac, had some "off-road" package and that little bugger went everywhere, and tirespin was a rarity. (it sat quite a bit taller than any other stock XJ I've ever seen, and the rear springs never sagged)

one of those Jeep anomalies, I guess :confused:

The limited slip would surprise the heck out of me, because Jeep has always used the Dana Trac-Lok for the limited slip, and it ain't available for the Dana 30 axle.

So do I have to order one of these 3.73 LS axles to find out what it is?

3.31 is curious as can be too. I've never heard of a 3.31:1 XJ

but I am learning LOL a new axle 3.73 with a LSD would be "perfect" for mommie.

Do early XJ CV axles/hubs interchange with latermodel UJ axles/hubs? Swap shafts only or hubs too? Knuckles same?

woody said:
So do I have to order one of these 3.73 LS axles to find out what it is?

3.31 is curious as can be too. I've never heard of a 3.31:1 XJ

but I am learning LOL a new axle 3.73 with a LSD would be "perfect" for mommie.

Do early XJ CV axles/hubs interchange with latermodel UJ axles/hubs? Swap shafts only or hubs too? Knuckles same?

3.31 was an available ratio in the 84 thru 86 models, but I don't know what specific equipment combinations rated that gearset. There have been mentions of it in posts from time to time, so they do exist.

As to the hub interchange, I believe the answer is "No." Do a search on hubs and see what you come up with. A few people recently have discussed this, and the consensus is that hubs in some years have a marginally different offset from other years. A couple of people have encountered problems replacing rotors due to this, and IIRC the final advice was to keep EVERYTHING (including the knuckles) to the same year.

Well that isn't always so, I have on my 89 MJ a 97 hub on the 89 knuckle/caliper. It needed the 97 rotor to alleviate any bind.

John B had bind using late model hubs on early knuckles his 2x to 4x conversion, but IIRC he left out the dust shields and that .0625" 'spacer' betweent the hub & knuckle maybe what it took to clear the bind? I dunno what he did for his. Mine never bound up.

What I am asking is if the early XJs WITH CV AXLE...CV not UJ... use a different hub than the ones with a UJ.

Thanks

Woody

3.73 came 85 - 86

Woody, I took 3.73 gears out of a 85 Wagoneer with select-trac and plugged them in my 89 D30 so they definitely were available - but there was no LS in it. No disconnect and CV axles so I swapped only the gears.

Back