• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle & transfer case...

FutureXJOwner

NAXJA Forum User
I own an 89' XJ, 4x4, 4.0 Auto.

A few questions:

1) can a 94' non-vacuum disconnect complete axle be swapped into my XJ without problems? I know this will do away with the vacuum disconnect, and my front axle and driveshaft will always turn while in 2WD, is this a 'bad' thing? Will it hurt the transfer case? Pro's & con's?

2) can a transfer case from a 94' 4 Cyl w/manual work in my 89' 6 cyl auto? Are the spline counts different?

thanks.

FutureXJOwner said:
I own an 89' XJ, 4x4, 4.0 Auto.

A few questions:

1) can a 94' non-vacuum disconnect complete axle be swapped into my XJ without problems? I know this will do away with the vacuum disconnect, and my front axle and driveshaft will always turn while in 2WD, is this a 'bad' thing? Will it hurt the transfer case? Pro's & con's?

2) can a transfer case from a 94' 4 Cyl w/manual work in my 89' 6 cyl auto? Are the spline counts different?

thanks.
1) No problem. Jeep didn't use the disconnect in 89 with the optional Selec-Trac tansfer case, and they eliminated it altogether in 1991. I think you'll have to trace and plug a vacuum line, but other than that you should have no problem.

2) The 94 transfer case should be a 23-spline, and I believe yours is a 21-spline.

Eagle said:
1) No problem. Jeep didn't use the disconnect in 89 with the optional Selec-Trac tansfer case, and they eliminated it altogether in 1991. I think you'll have to trace and plug a vacuum line, but other than that you should have no problem.

2) The 94 transfer case should be a 23-spline, and I believe yours is a 21-spline.

Um... I've meant to correct you on this one before so I'll do it now. I know they did eventually eliminate the disco (thankfully) but it wasn't in '91, my '91 came with one.
Tony
True about the '89 selec-trac though, no disco on ours. I'd been told in the past that '94 was the last year for disco's. Anyone?

whitexj88 said:
Cherokee Info

This says 92 and up and I thought it was 92 and up also

Unfortunately, many of the sites that list the options and stock equipment with their years goof them up. That jeepforum site has a few "mistakes." That's normal, though, because Jeep is notorious for having parts on their cars that weren't necessarily supposed to be on them. Here in Toledo, Jeep workers frequently back up the stories of "F---ed up Friday Jeeps" (Jeeps built on Fridays, and sometimes at the end of a month/year, when everyone just wants to go home).

Even Jeep executives will admit this if you know them and talk to them privately.

Back