• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 driveshaft Ujoint

wannabe

NAXJA Forum User
So i swapped a XJ44 in my 99 with the 29 spline 8.25 and everything went well except the ujoint on the driveshaft seems slightly too small on the pinion side. Do I need a diff. ujoint, I read quite a bit about the swap before I did it but dont remember anyone having this issue?
Thankx

Hmmmm....shouldn't be any difference if you're still using stock u-joints. Make sure the cap didn't come off and drop a roller bearing across the end, that will make it too wide to fit.

Yucca-Man said:
Hmmmm....shouldn't be any difference if you're still using stock u-joints. Make sure the cap didn't come off and drop a roller bearing across the end, that will make it too wide to fit.

I am using the stock ujoint. I see what your saying but the problem I having is that the cap itself is too small in circumference. Its not much but I can see between the cap and the strap for the cap.

wannabe said:
I am using the stock ujoint. I see what your saying but the problem I having is that the cap itself is too small in circumference. Its not much but I can see between the cap and the strap for the cap.

You can replace those straps for around $6.00.Try that first,I did the same swap (many have) no problem with the U-joint being too small.
Wayne

I can try that but I wouldnt think that is the issue. My original 8.25 only has 30K on it and it was a corporate lease vehicle so it was prob. never wheeled or really abused. We'll see. Any other ideas or are they for sure the same Ujoint.

for sure the same joint
should be a 1310 if I recall correctly.

There are different yokes available that bolt up to the D44. Sounds like you may have gotten a 1350 yoke instead of a 1310 yoke.

I am getting ready to do the same swap in my 98. Did you find any difference in the length of the diffs? Did you need to get a longer driveshaft?
Thanks
Garth

old_man said:
There are different yokes available that bolt up to the D44. Sounds like you may have gotten a 1350 yoke instead of a 1310 yoke.[/QUOTE

Im still learning this stuff but is there a way to tell what yoke is on there. Do yokes come in a master install kit or R&P sets? I ask cause the one that went in with the axle was in bad shape compared to the one that I got back. Do you know what the size dif. is between the two yokes, were only talk 1/16th or so, just enough to see thru.

Garthbmn7 said:
I am getting ready to do the same swap in my 98. Did you find any difference in the length of the diffs? Did you need to get a longer driveshaft?
Thanks
Garth
If there is it isnt anything to worry about, I can measure tomorrow.

old_man said:
There are different yokes available that bolt up to the D44. Sounds like you may have gotten a 1350 yoke instead of a 1310 yoke.

I did not know that the d44 ever came with a 1350 yoke. I doubt this came out of a jeep? What kind of truck did the d44 come with a 1350 yoke? Sorry to ask, just very curious because I have never heard of this. THanks!

Garthbmn7 said:
Thanks
Garth

The diff length isn't much different - D44 is a smidge longer - If it's too short for your taste, then it's nothing a lift shackle won't cure.

IT might be a bad yoke,the 1350 joint is also a 1/2" wider than a 1310!

quote:Do yokes come in a master install kit or R&P sets? I ask cause the one that went in with the axle was in bad shape compared to the one that I got back

Did they switch yokes and give you the 1350?

All this talk about 1310 vs 1350 yokes is irrelevant and leading us off-topic.

Does the u-joint seat fully in the yoke? I'd say it's the right yoke then, but to verify there should be a part number in the casing, just as there is in the front yoke. The straps don't touch 'round the entirety of the u-joint cap anyway, they'll only hold the top of the cap in position.

Back