• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd electrical issue

jeepfreak32

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 XJ 4.0 that has a odd electrical problem. When I pull the lights switch to the parking lights postion the PARKLPS 10 amp fuse blows. I have no gauge, lower dash courtesy and left hand tail lights. I disconnected the tail lights and pulled the gauge cluster lights elec. connector and the fuse still blows. The rheostat does turn on the dome lights when it hits the detent. When I turn on the headlights and then kill the engine, the headlights stay on when I push the switch all the way in. I have to turn on the ignition to the ACC to shut em off. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

For the fuse blowing I think you're on the right track, but you need to start tracing the wiring forward to see if there's a short in the wiring to the front parking lights. You might try pulling the plug on the front light harness (it's near the front bulkhead below the air cleaner) and see if the fuse still blows. If it doesn't, you know the problem is forward of that plug.

Sounds as if you have the "headlight sentry" feature. Next time the headlights behave that way wait 20-30 seconds. They should go off. If you don't like the sentry, just remember to turn the lights off before the ignition, or do as you have been doing and cycle the ignition switch.

I had this problem a while back. I never really figured out what it was but figured out how to fix it. Your parking lights are basically on the same system as your brake lights. if you follow the wire that comes out of the back of the fuse block( you will have to take it off) it will take you to the brake lightswitch. about 8 inches up from the switch I Y's and the wire coming off the Y goes into the steering column. When I cut that the problem went away. I had cut it just to test it but could not figgure out what it was and did not notice anything different. I just left it undone.

If you have a test light or a meter you can find the wire in the fuse block and trace it. You may also have a bad headlight switch. You said that one side worked and one didn't, if I recall corectly. That could just be a bad bulb that you never noticed before.

Good luck

Back