• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water Pump

ScratchYourName

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing my water pump and thermostat. does anyone have any advice, step by step directions, tips, anything!!! would help!
also does anyone know where the tensioner pully is or how to release it???
help help hlep !!!
thx guys!!
eric

I can not think of any specific advice as it is a fairly simple, straight forward job. It is fairly simple. Loosen the belt, remove the radiator, remove the thermostat housing, remove the water pump. Do make sure you clean your mounting surfaces well. Might not be a bad time to change your belt if you have not yet done so. By the way, when you go to fill it up make sure you let all the excess air out. A good way to do this is after you have completed the job, drive it around and warm it up. Then find at least a moderatley steep incline and park your Jeep with the front pointing down. Leave the engine running. Now locate the temperature sensor on the top driver's side rear of the engine; it should be at teh corner of the valve cover. Slowly loosen (do not take it off) it to let the air escape. When water starts seeping out, you know you have got the air out. For me, this has been the most effective way to get teh air out of a system. Good luck, however, don't think you will need it.
BSD

Last edited:
Check my edited message. As for the radiator, I was actually just thinking about it. I changed out my radiator (went to a 3 core) at teh same time. You can check if you have clearence but my thinking is that it might be a booger to work in there with it in. Besides, you will be draining a good amount of your fluid anyway. Might be a good time to get your radiator cleaned out. However, not a must.
BSD

not that big of a deal with the rad. in. I did mine once without the rad. and once with. It saves a lot of knuckle busting if you loosen all of the pully and fan bolts before you take the tension off the serp. belt. Thermostat is super easy.

go out and buy the Chilton's manual for your XJ. It has good pictures for chanigng a water pump and belt removal & replacement. There is no need to remove the idle pulley to remove the belt, the power steering pump is the way the bent it tensioned.

You will need to pick up a Kriket II from NAPA to tension belt correctly. Do a search for teh Kriket II to get the part number and find the belt tension.

The tensioner should be under the powersteering pump, its on a long bolt, you loosen all coresponding bolts and then loosen the tensioner till you can take the belt off, then follow all other instructions as stated earlier.

Also, you don't have to take the radiator out, I did mine with it in and two electric fans on it.

good luck,
Justin

Having a pair of good work gloves will help - the radiator loves to eat knuckles.

Make sure you've got the correct waterpump, the 4.2L I-6 uses the same housing but the impeller runs the other direction. This one is correct:
waterpump.jpg

Make sure the thermostat is correct temp (195) and that you've got an OEM type with a vent hole at the 12 o'clock position. Make sure that the thermostat is seated properly before tightening the housing, and DO NOT overtighten or you'll be looking for a new housing.

great advice guys!!
now i just have to change the tstat and fill everything up...question is...what do i fill and where??
ive heard anitfreeze in the radiator, ive hear just wtaer in the radiator, ive hear 50-50 in the reserve tank, ive heard it alll....
sop what goes in where???
thanks guys!!

I did mine on Wednesday. Took some time but wasn't very hard. I changed all the hoses and the belt. Didn't pull the radiator.
You want a 50% mix of water and anti-freeze. If I remember, the cooling system capacity is 12 1/2 qts. So you'd need a bit more than 1 and 1/2 gallons of antifreeze/coolant. Pour it in very slowly to help keep air from getting trapped. After you have about a gallon in it, start it and continue adding coolant until you have put in the gallon and a half. then fill it the rest of the way with water. (supposed to use distilled, I've never used it and never seen anyone else do it). Put a 50/50 mix in the bottle. Drive it as usual. If you stop at a store or something pop the hood and see if the bottle still has coolant in it, if not add some. Keep an eye on it for a day or so making sure the level stays where it belongs. After it cools, pull the cap to be sure the level is good.

Back