• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hot Springs Superlift OHV Park

lesslimited

Official MWC Brewmeister
NAXJA Member
I got a chance to wheel at this park Friday, and had a great time. The good news is I didn't break any axle shafts, but the bad news is this is my rear window http://community.webshots.com/photo/187646394/187663877XhbnBL
The terrain is similar to Paragon, although the rocks are more slippery. Trails in the area I was in were well marked with signs giving separate ratings for jeeps, quads and bikes.
I let my daughter's boyfriend, who had never been wheeling before, drive part of one trail, and he really enjoyed it. My brother-in-law from South Korea also drove a little, but he drove most of Top of the World trail in Moab last time they visited, so he's an experienced wheeler ;)
We met some cool guys from Arkansas Low Riders club on one of the trails and ran a couple more with them. Being SWB guys, they were amazed at what a decently set up XJ could do, but I was surprised at how well some of them without lockers did.
Rest of pics:
http://community.webshots.com/album/187646394gTwPFd
Not sure on the mileage, but I think it's about as far from Chicago as Paragon, and though it's about 1/10 the size of Paragon, it's bigger than the Badlands with much better trails, so I think a weekend trip there would be awesome. They have camping right at the parking lot, and alcohol is allowed, just not on the trails. There's also Hot Springs to visit, although next time I'll make sure there aren't 30,000+ H.O.G. members visiting at the same time. The wife, daughter, and sister and mother-in-law did not have fun there thanks to all the loud and obnoxious bikers :smsoap:

So, anyone got rear glass?

Bummer about the window, John!!!
That is god's way of punishing you for lying to the wifey about the new tires. ;)

Brewfest sticker on that window?
I've temped fate long enough. Mine's coming off NOW.

Last edited:
PhunkadelicXJ said:
Bummer about the window, John!!!
That is god's way of punishing you for lying to the wifey about the new tires. ;)

I didn't lie, I just didn't inform her. There is a difference, right? :D

At least my Brewfest sticker is OK, since I hadn't gotten around to putting it on yet. Maybe if I had, this wouldn't have happened?

Last edited:
Looks like 7 1/2 hours for me, I'm up for it. (I keep forgetting that my real rig is still down for the count...) Maybe we should plan a trip there for the spring? That'll give me all winter to get my XJ back up & running.

lesslimited said:
I didn't lie, I just didn't inform her. There is a difference, right? :D
Absolutely, We're with you pal. If fact, since telling her would create strife and stress in her life, aren't you really just protecting her by not telling her?
See, protecting our women from these things is just one of the selfless acts that we men do that go unrewarded.

Yeah why don't we plan a trip about same distance for some of us southern folks...

Count me in for a spring time run, I need to spend the last few vacation days this year on a girly vacation. ;)

PhunkadelicXJ said:
Count me in for a spring time run, I need to spend the last few vacation days this year on a girly vacation. ;)

Girly vacation being what, shopping? :D

A spring run would work for me, after Winterfest, before NACfest and not during the three weeks the wife and I will be in Hawaii (I think early March)

Early spring works for me too ... also the weather should be "moderate" for us Yanks!

So John ... What's the story behind the broken rear glass??

Les

Last edited:
lesslimited said:
Girly vacation being what, shopping? :D

A spring run would work for me, after Winterfest, before NACfest and not during the three weeks the wife and I will be in Hawaii (I think early March)

Sorta, I did that in So Cal back in April, spent a whole heap of dough!
I'm gonna head to AZ this time and visit some friends.

So let's shoot for April sometime, then. How's that sound?

lbexj said:
Early spring works for me too ... also the weather should be "moderate" for us Yanks!

So John ... What's the story behind the broken rear glass??

Les

Basically, it was my dumass spare tire mounting. I had thought about putting a cleat on the shelf to keep the tire from sliding back, but realized that I would have to lift the tire over it and convinced myself that the straps would hold it well enough. Wrong! :doh:

Originally Posted by PhunkadelicXJ
So let's shoot for April sometime, then. How's that sound?

April should work, have to see when Easter is so Cindy can make it.

lesslimited said:
Basically, it was my dumass spare tire mounting. I had thought about putting a cleat on the shelf to keep the tire from sliding back, but realized that I would have to lift the tire over it and convinced myself that the straps would hold it well enough. Wrong! :doh:

When I looked at your pics, it looked like that's what happened. Did you say any nasty words??

I also wondered if you had gotten shot at tryin' to steal one of the bikers' girlfriends :eek:

Great pics John ... Man you have a nice camera! I like this one:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/187663591/187663591SXMuvu

Les

lbexj said:
When I looked at your pics, it looked like that's what happened. Did you say any nasty words??

I also wondered if you had gotten shot at tryin' to steal one of the bikers' girlfriends :eek:

Great pics John ... Man you have a nice camera! I like this one:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/187663591/187663591SXMuvu

Les

Naw, no nasty words for that. When I'm wheeling it takes a lot more than that to bring me down. As far as the biker's girlfriends, a lot of them were scarier than the bikers, and besides, I'm happy with what I've got.

And I liked that pic too, but it doesn't show up well as an avatar. It really wasn't as exciting as it looks because I could see that the back tire was going no lower, and once everyone had their pics I drove forward out of it.

Nice window John! After I broke mine at Carnagefest, I found a rear window glass at a JY nearby; it's on route 83 about 4-5 miles south of 55.

I'm in for a Hot Springs run too...

Back