• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Cheromanche Pics

partsbill

NAXJA Forum User
Here are some more pics of the Cheromanche I've almost completed.

The 2 threads where some earlier questions and discussions are

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14801

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14088

And here is where the pics can be found. As one person suggested; to put them on XJDB; I tried and couldn't get them to download, so here is the place where these will be and future ones as well. All comments and questions welcome.

http://community.webshots.com/album/184729955LFrRDE

I think it will take 30 minutes or so the update on the site so it'll be ready by 7:05 EDT

it looks good...but something is different about yours than other "cheromanches." other rigs like yours seem to have fulfilled every desire of their owner for off road ability, and for creativity they hack off the backside. but you have almost a stock XMJ, and so why waste money chopping? im not criticizing just asking.

PC-UT-XJ said:
it looks good...but something is different about yours than other "cheromanches." other rigs like yours seem to have fulfilled every desire of their owner for off road ability, and for creativity they hack off the backside. but you have almost a stock XMJ, and so why waste money chopping? im not criticizing just asking.

Several reasons:
I drive an 02 Wrangler as a daily driver and the cherokee was a present for my step-son on his 15th birthday. Last fall, he decided he didn't want a FREE vehicle to drive and wanted a car payment instead, so I "bought" the Cherokee from him and he borrowed from me the remaing money to buy a Honda Accord. Now the delima. Sell it or keep it. I can't drive 2 at a time but since its paid for and has cheap insurance, I decided to keep it. I'm also a homebody. I need something to work on to keep me at home and out of trouble. After seeing how nice these vehicles looked and read up on all the extreme modification to the body all others deemed necessary, I went out to prove them wrong. I have probably no more than $500 in materials including the $150 for seats. Now agin, I don't rock crawl or mud-bog, just an occasional trip to the beach to do some surf fishing. Its perfectly capable for this and still gets many looks as a near stock vehicle. Answer the question?

Thanks
Bill

Bill ... looks good! I like the tailgate in the back. Thanks for posting your pics.

:thumbup:

Les

lbexj said:
Bill ... looks good! I like the tailgate in the back. Thanks for posting your pics.

:thumbup:

Les

Thanks!! It was really the hardest thing I made. To try to figure out where to make the hinge at was the hardest. Ended up welding it to the bumper. Not the best job but it works. Also to simplify things, went with a pair of gate latches for closure since I never plan to put a "tonneau" on it and it latches by just closing the tailgate. Thanks!!

partsbill said:
Thanks!! It was really the hardest thing I made. To try to figure out where to make the hinge at was the hardest. Ended up welding it to the bumper. Not the best job but it works. Also to simplify things, went with a pair of gate latches for closure since I never plan to put a "tonneau" on it and it latches by just closing the tailgate. Thanks!!

I noticed that comment in your pics that you welded the hinges to your bumper. Were you not able to reinforce the floor enough to attach them there? Is the tailgate (hand) latch on the inside? Also, explain more about this statement:
Bill's Webshot Pic said:
"A mechanic I work with also gave me the third brake on top which came from a blazer."

I really appreciate your input. My hatch is cracked and I want to split the top and bottom so the top opens up and the bottom opens like a tailgate. Been thinkin' about this for a while trying to plan it out. Your input will really help me out.

Les

partsbill said:
Several reasons:
Now agin, I don't rock crawl or mud-bog, just an occasional trip to the beach to do some surf fishing
As an XJ owner that just got done reconstructing my jeep becuase of a surf fisherman... Please for the next owners sake. WASH IT OFF UNDERNEATH!!!!

When I get it done I will post some pics. but its a 96 that had no floor... You might think about coating the underside with some tar or somthing too and if the carpet gets wet... get it outta there!

sorry. you can imagine my frustration when I have spent the last month with no jeep working every night to replace the entire floor.

but all that aside, I love the Mods! And i like the fact that you kept it OEModified.

just outta curiosity why wood instead of metal for the bed?

muduck18 said:
As an XJ owner that just got done reconstructing my jeep becuase of a surf fisherman... Please for the next owners sake. WASH IT OFF UNDERNEATH!!!!

When I get it done I will post some pics. but its a 96 that had no floor... You might think about coating the underside with some tar or somthing too and if the carpet gets wet... get it outta there!

sorry. you can imagine my frustration when I have spent the last month with no jeep working every night to replace the entire floor.

but all that aside, I love the Mods! And i like the fact that you kept it OEModified.

just outta curiosity why wood instead of metal for the bed?

I have 3 years experience working for Hatteras Yachts as well as several more for a local boatyard doing 'glass work, gelcoat , and topside painting. I have 6 months in metal/wood fabrication. I'm just not that comfortable with the metal work yet and my welding is mostly sub-standard. Only when I made the seat brackets last weekend did the welding finally come to be rather strong.

Several many years back(1985), while at Deaton Yacht Service, one of the owners had an old willy's rusted out from a surf fisherman as well. Well, being at a boat yard, the new floor was amde from 3/4 ply coated with west epoxy and kevlar/glass roving. The floor is still holding up well today. Thanks for asking!

Looks good Partsbill, Never saw the conversion done like that. I like the tube from the top to the corner of the bed.I started my cheromanche this summer and am getting closer to finishing it, but been daily driving it since the chop.Although I have alot of other mods, everyone notices and compliments the the conversion, Your going to get a few people asking "why".If you have to ask why? you've missed the whole point.I done mine for the same reasons you done yours, I like the look and like the challenge of doing it.

I'm at the point of hinging the fiberglass tailgate, that's alot harder that it looks. What did you use for the rear glass, looks tinted ,tried to find some tinted plexiglass without any luck. Nice truck !

Casm is right, it does look like that Lamborghini, Never thought i'd see an XJ looking better than a Lamborghini...lol.

Last edited:
hackedxj said:
Looks good Partsbill, Never saw the conversion done like that. I like the tube from the top to the corner of the bed.I started my cheromanche this summer and am getting closer to finishing it, but been daily driving it since the chop.Although I have alot of other mods, everyone notices and compliments the the conversion, Your going to get a few people asking "why".If you have to ask why? you've missed the whole point.I done mine for the same reasons you done yours, I like the look and like the challenge of doing it.

I'm at the point of hinging the fiberglass tailgate, that's alot harder that it looks. What did you use for the rear glass, looks tinted ,tried to find some tinted plexiglass without any luck. Nice truck !
When are you gonna show some detailed pics of your job?

Okie Terry said:
When are you gonna show some detailed pics of your job?

I'll get some pics up next week, just waiting till it was far enough along that everyone could make sense of it. So far I'm well pleased with it. Thanks for the interest!

You're right, its hard to find tinted plexiglass sooooooo I went to Walmart, bought the $9.00 window tint, and tinted the plexiglass myself. Thanks to the both of you for the Lambo' comparison

Bill,

Very cool and nicely done!!!

Please post more detail pics when you can.

Regards ........ Roger :)

partsbill said:
Here are some more pics of the Cheromanche I've almost completed.

The 2 threads where some earlier questions and discussions are

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14801

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14088

And here is where the pics can be found. As one person suggested; to put them on XJDB; I tried and couldn't get them to download, so here is the place where these will be and future ones as well. All comments and questions welcome.

http://community.webshots.com/album/184729955LFrRDE

I think it will take 30 minutes or so the update on the site so it'll be ready by 7:05 EDT

Back