• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP HELP HELP! Tcase diagnosis

xj4life

NAXJA Forum User
Alright I installed my SYE last night and it's all done but something didn't work out right and I need a little help. I don't have a rear driveshaft so I was going to just drive around in 4hi for a little while but now my jeep won't go anywhere.

Here's what it does:

1) 2wd I can shift the trans from P to D and the rear yoke spins fine. Then when I shift it back up to P it grinds and I have to shut the engine off to shift it back into park.

2) If I shift the tcase into 4hi with the engine off and then start it i can shift from P to D no problems but the Jeep wont move. Almost like it's stuck. Then same thing, I shift it back to P and it grinds.

3) If I jack the front wheels off the ground and repeat 2) I can shift into D just fine and the front wheels will spin and again it grinds going back into P.

What's up?

:

1) 2wd I can shift the trans from P to D and the rear yoke spins fine. Then when I shift it back up to P it grinds and I have to shut the engine off to shift it back into park.

This is normal.... with no driveshaft to stop the output shaft from turning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

2) If I shift the tcase into 4hi with the engine off and then start it i can shift from P to D no problems but the Jeep wont move. Almost like it's stuck. Then same thing, I shift it back to P and it grinds.

3) If I jack the front wheels off the ground and repeat 2) I can shift into D just fine and the front wheels will spin and again it grinds going back into P.

What year xj, what t-case? what SYE? If it is a 242.. that would be normal..you cant drive it with one driveshaft out.
If its a 231, you have internal problems, unless you have an earlier XJ with the front disco D30...then i would say the disco fork is not engagine the right axleshaft for some reason... most likely a vacuum issue.

Its a 98 xj with a 231 tcase with the AA HD SYE.

the shift fork is what i suspected but why would it let the front wheels spin when they are off the ground but not when the are in contact with the ground. are there any things to look for when reinstalling the shift fork?

Are you sure you dont have the mode selector collar in backwards?

Mike

Its the collar the 4wd shift fork goes on.

shot in the dark here. but i had an issue after i installed my sye kit. i tested the shifting and movement and all with both driveshaft's off. everything seemed fine. but when i installed the ds's, i had a friend try to move the xj while i looked at the case. it wouldn't move when they gave it a little gas. it turned out that i had somehow jammed the parking break and it wouldn't let the rear tire spin free. i jacked the rear axle up and broke it free by turning the rear tire. after it finally broke free, everything was AOK

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29114&highlight=sye

well i'm going to try to see if it's the rear tires and if not i'm going to crack the case again. SOAB!!!!!

Thanks guys.

ahhh yes... mode collar reversal will definately cause this.... I've done it myself.

While it looks like the groove for the fork is in the center of the collar, it is not... it is slightly offset. The 'thin' side should face the front of the t-case....the front being the half that bolts to the tranny.

Back