• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's your opinion?

Blackash132

NAXJA Forum User
ok, I have been reading and learning and searching for a few months on NAXJA, I love it, It's all I ever do. Now I'm actually going to start doing something to my 2000. Time for Lift!!
My question is This XJ is my DD. I would really like to start wheeling in it but I need to keep it nice for the highway too. I drive a lot for my job. There for I am thinking a 3.5 RE lift Don't know which yet though Superride or Superflex? or maybe even a 4.5 RE lift. I am thinking about 32's but I have read that I will have to cut a bunch if I want that with the 3.5 RE, I don't really mind cutting. I just don't want to cut the $hit out of it. 31's would be fine with me but how capable would it be on most trails... Like I said I'm new and would like to wheel it and one of these days start rock crawling.. another thing to take into consideration is would i have to re-gear if I went with 32's ya'll have said I'd prolly be fine with 31's but 32's stock 8.25 29 spline? I want to get a locker for the rear too the front will have to wait for now..
I have read lots of searches and found lots of differnt answers. I'm in the Midwest but I don't go muddin.
Thanks for your help I'm sure that whatever I get I can always upgrade right? Thanks a bunch!

the RE superflex 3.5 with 31"s is a great infection on inchitis. but 4.5" with 33"s and some generous trimming in the right spots will be great. you can run 4.56 gears and maybe a powetrax no-slip.. leave the front open till budget allows you to slap in a no-slip up there too. I say the no-slip over the detroit because I have found detroit to be kinda quircky, more so than the noslip. although the no-slip should have its springs changed out on a yearly basis with your lube change. the springs that float the crosspin break, and after about a year or so the rear gets really quircky. your also gonna want to get an SYE and rear double cardan driveshaft to isntall with the lift, this is the best way to correct the driveline vibes that youll more than likely get rahter than drop the t-case. if you do the lift right with good shocks then on road driveability will be good. obviously your gonna need to get used to driving your lifted and locked jeep, but that should only take you about 5 minutes.

Blackash132 said:
ok, I have been reading and learning and searching for a few months on NAXJA, I love it, It's all I ever do. Now I'm actually going to start doing something to my 2000. Time for Lift!!
My question is This XJ is my DD. I would really like to start wheeling in it but I need to keep it nice for the highway too. I drive a lot for my job. There for I am thinking a 3.5 RE lift Don't know which yet though Superride or Superflex? or maybe even a 4.5 RE lift. I am thinking about 32's but I have read that I will have to cut a bunch if I want that with the 3.5 RE, I don't really mind cutting. I just don't want to cut the $hit out of it. 31's would be fine with me but how capable would it be on most trails... Like I said I'm new and would like to wheel it and one of these days start rock crawling.. another thing to take into consideration is would i have to re-gear if I went with 32's ya'll have said I'd prolly be fine with 31's but 32's stock 8.25 29 spline? I want to get a locker for the rear too the front will have to wait for now..
I have read lots of searches and found lots of differnt answers. I'm in the Midwest but I don't go muddin.
Thanks for your help I'm sure that whatever I get I can always upgrade right? Thanks a bunch!

Well here is my opinion, i drive 72 miles roud trip to and from work everyday, i have approx 4¨ of lift and 31´s. I was looking into 32´s but need to regear first. I have done quite a bit of wheeling and as mentioned before , the difference between 31 and 32 is minimal at best. My recomendations ar elift and 31´s, then wait a bit, regear, and then look at 32´s or even 33´s. Also, keep in mind what percent you will be off road and what percent you will be on the streets.

This is my plan (this week anyway). I'm thinking a 4.5" lift with 31" tires. Not too expensive and pretty capable. I'll dial in that combo then when the budget allows go up to 33's and re-gear either with some trimming or adding spacers or a combo. I plan on trying 33/10.5" tires on stock wheels and flares. A buddy of mine had a toyota with 33's and geared and drove it daily with no probs. I'm also of the oppinion that 1" either way with tires or lift is splitting hairs. Don't lose any sleep over it.
Good Wheelin to ya,
Cherokid :peace:

so you think that 32's will need regearing? I know I would with 33s. I'm on the road probably 70% of my driving. wish I was off more but I gotta pay the bills. I have 30X9.50 BFG's on now with no lift and I think I will keep them on for a while after I get the lift so I can get some MTR's and nice wheels when I get more money. How much Offroading could I do with 30's thanks again all!:roll:

i drive 60 miles at least round trip everyday. i have an R.E 4.5 with 33's. on the freeway it rides like a dream. i call it the caddy of lifted vehicles. only draw back... desent amount of fender trimming.

I don't know if this is relevant to your question, but here goes. I have long arms, and 35s. I drive around 2 hours to work and back a day. The point is that any WELL done lift is street driveable. Once you get use to the changes it becomes almost transparent.My idea is go for 4.5 inch kit, and if budget doesnt allow for new tires, maybe used ones untill you decide what tire size you need. This is just my opinon, dont take it as the only way to go.

Many threads on it, but with the 8.25" 4.56 is as deep as you can go. Go with that no matter what tranny you have. Typically with the auto you can/should go with deeper gears, but again, you are limited with the Chrysler axle.

wha.... huh... 4.10's!!! hell no, even in a mud rig. 4.56's for several reasons. obviously to put your RPM's back to a "near stock" range at a given speed. general rule of thumb for 31"s, 33"s, and 35"s is 4.10's, 4.56's and 4.88's. while its not necesarly ideal, its what the charts will show you what stock is compared to. I use this rule with both auto and manual tranny jeeps. even though the manual tranny jeeps came with 3.07 gears, everyone seems to complain about them feeling a little gutless and needing a little more gear.
now I say 33"s because thats about the biggest tire that you should safely run on your rear 8.25 with 29 spline shafts. also the fact that 4.56 gears is the lowest ratio you can get for that rear end.
junkxj said:
For 33s I would say 4.10. This depends on what trans you have, but is a safe bett for overall use.

I guessed 4.10 because of unsure to trans. I run 4.56 with 35s and it works very well. As far as the 33a on a 29 spline axle being max, that is a matter of opinon. I run 27s on 35s. I will not say this is the best setup, only what has worked for me.

I forgot to say that my earlier statement was considering 31s until bigger tires were deemed necesary for his usage.He said most of his time was spent on road, so mpg probably is a concern for him.

I run 33" MT/Rs with stock 3.55 gears. I have had it this way for over a year. It accelerates fine and gets decent gas mileage. Transmission hunts in and out of 4th gear on hilly freeways, but I accomodate for this by shifting to 3rd gear in these situations. Gears are rather expensive, especially if you have someone else install them. I would rather spend the money on other things.

On a 2000 XJ an SYE is highly recommeded. The transfer case output shaft is quite vulnerable to damage.

As far as control arm/steering, I still use stock control arms with 5.5" of lift. I used to have Rusty's fixed lower arms and stock control arms. It rode like crap and steering was very sloppy. I went with the RE drop brackets and the front end feeels like new again. Greatly improved the ride and steering feel.

Frank What Do You Consider To Be Decent Mileage

FrankNBrew said:
I run 33" MT/Rs with stock 3.55 gears.
Whatever happened to that thread-that-wouldn't-die?? 33s and 3.55s? :twak:

Blackash132 said:
How much Offroading could I do with 30's thanks again all!:roll:
i have a 92 2 door with 235/75 (29x9.5) and i keep up with the stock TJ's and most everyone in my group. All you have to do is take it slow... honestly, go take your rig out stock and play around, have fun. Everyone i know started wheeling stock, then moved up. They all say wheeling was just as much fun stock as it was lifted, just les expensive. Regardless of what you will read about the d35/8.25 snaping if you drive it down a dirt road, for most of us that didnt happen. Your vehicle came stock off the lot as the best off road rig for its class, so use it for what it is first, learn how to use the breaks and stay off the skinny pedal and ahve fun. (maybe get some skid plates to keep it les expensive) but go off road and do the "small" stuff. you'd be suprised what u can get through with a "stock" rig.

a few things ive learned -
the air intake is on the left side = keep that outta the water
Oil pans and pumps when broken can lead to big trouble

go and have fun, try stuff out, then lift

uh yeah and do it right the first time uh yeah....

good wheelin to ya
-XJ_Ranger

Ok so if I wanna do it right, the first time. I will probably spend the money on the 4.5 inch RE kit, SYE kit, and change out the gears. 4.56? is that the consensus? Sould I change out the front gears on the D30? Also where is a good place to look for gears. Thanks for all of your help guys. Just got a new job and I've been shown the money! My Jeep's gonna be sweet!

Back