• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Computer reset question

casm

NAXJA Forum User
In amongst doing all of the deashboard-related stuff on my '01 Sport yesterday, the battery was disconnected - in part to protect against against doing something dumb with electricity while working on it, in part because I wanted to see if a computer reset would make any difference to the performance, which I suspected had been going downhill. The difference is unbelieveable - it's like having a whole new XJ. Performance is back where it should be, both off the line and through the gears. Haven't checked fuel consumption yet as I'm waiting for the next full tank but it does appear at least marginally improved.

Hence my question: after a reset, does the computer relearn engine management and transmission operation settings over a fixed period of time or is it an ongoing process? What I'm thinking is that if it's the latter it might not hurt to reset it every few weeks just to keep it from having picked up bad habits, and if it's the former it'd make sense to get it burned in over as short a period of time as possible to avoid it learning bad habits it keeps with itself permanently.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I searched and found plenty on the reset procedure for the computer, but not a lot on how it relearns once it's been reset.

Back