• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock valve springs w/Comp Cam 68-232-4

jccog

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone used the stock '88 4.0L springs with a higher lift cam than the springs are rated for? I just bought the Comp Cam 68-232-4 that has .460" Int. and .476" Exh. lift and the stock springs are only rated for .430". Are there gonna be problems?? If so, what springs should I use?

Thanks

Last edited:
You could have problems floating valves at higher RPMs.....

I've got Mopar Performance valve springs in my stroker, which didn't come cheap.....

Before you get the CompCams springs, find out what their installed height should be. The stock springs install at a height of 1.64" so if the CompCams springs require a higher installed height, you'll need to have the spring seats in the head machined. If you get the Mopar Performance 5249464 valve springs (1.64" installed height is same as stock), 4452032 retainers, and 4529218 valve keepers from http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/ram.html , you can save yourself that headache.

I ran into the same question recently with the Crane cam that I used. Some said that the stock springs would work, but I didn't want to take a chance on using the springs for more lift than the specs say they can handle. Because of the potential for having to do additional head work to make the Crane springs work, I also went with the Mopar Performance springs, which work without any modifications. Only problem is that they cost twice as much as the cam did.

Thanks to everyone for your help on this matter. I looked into getting the Comp Cam spring setup from Summit. They were cheaper ($120 for everything) but, to have my spring seats machined for the 1.800" installed height would cost $84 at my machine shop, putting the total cost at $204. The Mopar setup cost $166 plus shipping, so they are on order.

Thanks again!

Back