• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory 4.56 gears...????????

MC-92

NAXJA Forum User
ok so I'm messing around over at car-parts.com and start looking at '87-'89 cherokee dana 30 and dana 35 axles... they have an option for 4.56 gears for BOTH... everything that I have read says that they only came with 4.10's as the lowest... whats the deal..??????? are there that many people out there confused ??? one guy said that it was "varified"???????

Hey when you find a d30 with 4.56 from the factory reach over and hand me the pot o gold from beside the rainbow while your at it...The were rumored but never seen good luck in your hunt...
themud

been there done that. Have them varify it again and then go get them or have them ship them but make sure and tell them if they are not 4.56s they will cover all charges to and from you place. Also find someone in the area that knows something about axles and have them go and see them in person that is the safest way. I went through it with a guy saying he had a stock D44 for $150 in his salvage I promptly sent the money and he sent me a D35. I called him and griped and he said he found one he could get for $250 plus shipping and I said well you better get out your check book cause I bought a D44 from you for $150 and I had the reciept that said it and it still had all their marking on the D35 so I ended up with a D44 for $150

Car Part dot com deals with junkyard intake stuff.

4.56:1 and 4:88:1 junk will show up from time to time... Obviously often enough to have the option there on their search engine.

The only factory XJ MJ ratios were 3.07, 3.55, 3.73 and 4.10:1; Anything lower than that has been swapped in.

4.56 was a non-limitedslip diff option 87-90, So say-eth the all-knowing, big-a$$ 87-90 factory parts manual. :worship: Also, I know a guy in Ohio that had a set in his previous Comanche. Apparently getting an automatic tranny behind the 2.5L was key. Learn something new every day, eh? :D
Jeep on!
--Pete

65256782.jpg

Last edited:
Ill verify that the 87 at least DID have 4.56s as an option behind a 2.5 and auto tranny. I just swapped in a 30/35 with the 4.56s from a parts jeep that was bone stock with no mods. I couldnt belive it till i called and checked around then cracked open the diffs to make damn sure. So, if your lucky enuff to score a set, have at it.

Mike

Back