• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some questions

woody431

NAXJA Forum User
In a few hundred miles it'll be time to change my oil and i figured I'd go ahead and service my differentials, change the brake and power steering fluid as well. In my Haynes manual it says:

Rear end- API GL-5 80w-140 (will be towing a small trailer)
Front- SAE 80w-140
Power steering- Jeep brand or equivalent
Brake Fluid- DOT-3

My question is, are all these things available at Autozone or Napa? I know the brake fluid will be, but whats an equivalent for the power steering?

Next set of questions are:

If I use a set of Up-Country coils, will they give me any lift, maybe like 1"? I have a 1" spacer to use as well. Will ZJ V8 coils give the same lift? I want to stay at about 2", so should I shackle the back or do an AAL? Most people say shackle, so would it level the Jeep out if I use 2" in front and then just a shackle in the back? Should I go ahead and get a new set of shocks? Mine are pretty old so I might as well I guess. I think brakelines should be ok. Unfortunately I wont have time to really wheel right now, but I will after Christmas.

Thanks for any advice.

You can get the oils and brake fluid easily from an autoparts store. For power steering fluid, use ATF (automatic transmission fluid) dexron III/mercon.

Unless your coil springs are heavily sagging, using upcountry coils from another xj will probably not net you much lift (unless they're brand new). If yours are pretty sloppy though and these ones are new, you might gain an inch or 2. ZJ coils will do about the same thing. Definitely do not use AAL's for the back. Not only will they sag to worthlessness eventually, they will cause the entire leaf to sag even further than if it had no AAL at all.

\___/ <- a new leaf spring

_____ <- what your leaf probably looks like

/----\ <- what your leaf could look like if you AAL it

well, okay maybe not but you get the idea.

Blair Williams said:
You can get the oils and brake fluid easily from an autoparts store. For power steering fluid, use ATF (automatic transmission fluid) dexron III/mercon.

Unless your coil springs are heavily sagging, using upcountry coils from another xj will probably not net you much lift (unless they're brand new). If yours are pretty sloppy though and these ones are new, you might gain an inch or 2. ZJ coils will do about the same thing. Definitely do not use AAL's for the back. Not only will they sag to worthlessness eventually, they will cause the entire leaf to sag even further than if it had no AAL at all.

\___/ <- a new leaf spring

_____ <- what your leaf probably looks like

/----\ <- what your leaf could look like if you AAL it

well, okay maybe not but you get the idea.

You can really use ATF for power steering fluid? I did not know that. Hmm, learn something new everyday I guess.

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm I was looking at this site for my lift, definetly a budget lift for me. He used the main leaf and 2nd leaf from a stock pack. I planned on doing that for now. It gained the amount of lift I was looking for also. I might try it for now and see how things go.

woody431 said:
You can really use ATF for power steering fluid? I did not know that. Hmm, learn something new everyday I guess.

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm I was looking at this site for my lift, definetly a budget lift for me. He used the main leaf and 2nd leaf from a stock pack. I planned on doing that for now. It gained the amount of lift I was looking for also. I might try it for now and see how things go.

I've seen that lift before. It would be stronger than an AAL, but still have a look at yours and make sure they've still got any arch. My old leafs look less like a U and more like a flattened W.

Back