• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drive shaft replacement question

younggun96

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ with 3" of lift. I am unfortunate enough to have the drive shaft up front with the "velocity joint" built in. Basically a two piece shaft?
Problem is I just rebuilt this thing about 10k miles ago and already it is shot again. So the question is what can I put in it's place to do away with this type of shaft. I know someone who went to our local shop and had a solid one built for theirs, Is this my only option or is there another year xj that doesn't use this style and could work as a "donor"?? Thanks in advance for your help!

let me clarify, I haven't pulled the shaft apart yet to verify it is shot. I was assuming this since it is making the hurrendous and familliar squeaking sound again. I have removed it and no more noise, so I guess I will pull it apart now and see if the bearings are just dry in the ball center or if in fact they are junk again, either way just wondering if anybody has found a solution for this yet? I drive my XJ about 600 miles a week and really am trying to eliminate any of these "Regular" maintenance type items when I can.

With 198 000 on my 96 the DC joint is still fine.Had the spline end rebuilt over 2 years ago and asked if the DC joint needed it too ,it was and still is fine and has never seen any grease.
What do you mean by "solid" shaft ? it needs to slip(shorten & legnthen) so it doesn,t break the TC.
You don,t have a ZJ driveshaft ,do you ?
Wayne

Mine squeaks when it needs grease, since shops that rebuild them use greaseable joints instead of the factory joints.

I just meant a one piece design with the typical yolk rather than this constant velocity style joint with the ball and needle bearings in the center. You know like the rear where you use 2 u joints rather than the three that the three required in the front.

You would never get the angles correct since the front output shaft points up @ 5*.

Back