• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

comp and emmisions and transmission

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, the score is this:
I have a 97 which had an AW4 which I yanked to drop in an AX15. Now this worked great and all works fine but now the issues are as follows:
1. if I keep the 97 comp it complains about the lack of the aw4 (no sensors). So I unplugged the TCU and that causes it to complaing about the lack of TCU.
2. so I yanked the 97 comp and put in the 98 comp (which was used with the ax15) and that works fine with the tranny but I get a code 1494 and a check engine light about a problem with a leak detection pump (I don't think the 97 has it, but hte 98 did).

Anyways I don't really have a problem with driving with the check engine light and code 1494 but.... when I have to resmog it next year the eco nazi laws will not let me pass it. Also unless I keep scanning it every so often I will not know if any other problems crop up as the check engine light will always be on.

Other option I have is to keep the 98 comp and swap the whole harness in along with all the emissions stuff (ugly idea but it's doable).

Other option is to get a 97 comp but I don't feel like paying the $$ (even if it's junkyard prices).

So.... does anyone know or can anyone think of a way to either:
1. Trick the 98 comp to not look for the damn LDP sensor?
or
2. Trick the 97 comp not to look for the TCU
or
3. Trick the 97 TCU not to look for the tranny?

Find out the resistance value of the LDP,find the wiring pin terminals on the PCM install the resistor on those pins

xjspyder said:
Find out the resistance value of the LDP,find the wiring pin terminals on the PCM install the resistor on those pins
Hmmm that might be worth experimenting with. I wonder though if it's a stable value that it expects or a varilable based on some other sensors.

xjspyder said:
I thought about it some more and looked at some of the diagrams and looks like that's a no go. The LDP is driven by three wires and it seems to give a variable output so it might be somewhat more complicated. Anyways in the mean time any other thoughts from anyone?

Back