• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

name that squeak....aaarg

Gil BullyKatz

NAXJA Forum User
Well after doing a search, it seems that it might be serpentine belt, idler pulley, crank pulley, water pump related...
problem is, I can't narrow it down.

it only does this LOUD whistle/squeal while driving under power.
it responds to gas pedal input, back off the pedal and it disappears.
it won't do it while stopped either in park, neutral or in gear with my foot on the brake
It's driving me nuts because I can only hear it while driving and on the gas!

hints, guesses, suggestions?

It's normal, it's your supercharger...........just kidding, mine had the same symtoms it was the idler, shake it back and forth, see if there's any free play, also seen vacuum leak make a whisle sound, good luck with it.

Does is sound like a turbine type of whine that varies with the throttle? For me, that sound turned out to be the power steering pump. I replaced the idler pulley just on good measure, but it still turned out the be the power steering pump in the long run...

Ivan

Gil BullyKatz said:
it only does this LOUD whistle/squeal while driving under power. it responds to gas pedal input, back off the pedal and it disappears.
it won't do it while stopped either in park, neutral or in gear with my foot on the brake

It's driving me nuts because I can only hear it while driving and on the gas!

hints, guesses, suggestions?

try replacing the CCV hose and the tube (sold as a set) that runs from the intake manifold to the valve cover and MAP sensor. It's hard to detect but the tube gets soft and starts to collapse ... and will generate a constant whistle under acceleration like you mentioned above.

Drove me crazy for about a year ... I thought it was a wheel bearing going south. Two dealers couldn't "repeat" the problem ... I didn't know what was worse, the inept mechanics or the constant whistle.

Finally fixed it myself .... about $50 for the part from Mopar.

Good luck.

Update:

Changed idler pulley last weekend... no change

changed harmonic balancer today... no change

gonna look into the PS pump and the CCV next. Fortunately, both the idler pulley and the Harmonic balancer needed to be changed or else I'd be pissed. The idler pulley's bearing was wobbling and the HB's rubber separator was already torn and starting to migrate.
...and I guess it kinda sounds more like a turbine with a few broken blades than a squeak...

Does the power steering pump have a replaceable pulley or bearing?

:bawl:

You have to swap out the pulley on your PS pump with the replacement you get. You can rent a PS pump pulley puller from a rental yard. It helps to bring in your PS pump to make sure you get the right one. Once you remove the pulley (2 minutes), you can reinstall it on the new PS pump using the nut/bolt/washer that should come with your pump. The center of the PS pump shaft is threaded, so that's where the nut/bolt/washer set up comes in. Just press the pulley on until it pulley is flush with the shaft.

Just from recent past experience, I had to swap out a reman PS pump from NAPA THREE TIMES, before I got a good one. The first one, I couldn't turn the steering at a dead stop. The second one had a leak behind the pump. The third one finally was good. You may luck out, but I'd try a different brand.

After all the swap outs, I got to where I could replace a PS pump in under 20 minutes, even swapping out pulleys...

Ivan

I'm having the problem myself and I've replaced the P.S.pump, water pump, both idler pullies and checked the serp allignment and it's still there, I think Ivan has the right idea, you can't rely on the rebuid shops. I tested my new ps pump by hand but I think thats where the sound is coming from, I'll post if the replacing it works.

theblackmask said:
I have this same peolblem, and I've burned through my third belt in about 3000 miles.
Define burned through a third belt: did it fray into pieces? or melt away? If it frayed into pieces I'd check for wobble by hand on every pulley (while the engine is off of course).

Back