• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE Questions

LouisianaZJ

NAXJA Member #1362
1) i took a closer look at my SYE output cone I guess its called (the aluminum piece bolted to the t/c) and it appears to have some cracks or casting marks on it. Is this normal? they are not leaking

2) there is some black fluid looking stuff coming from the seal area. The t/c internal fluid is still bright red w/ no contamination.

LouisianaZJ said:
1) i took a closer look at my SYE output cone I guess its called (the aluminum piece bolted to the t/c) and it appears to have some cracks or casting marks on it. Is this normal? they are not leaking

2) there is some black fluid looking stuff coming from the seal area. The t/c internal fluid is still bright red w/ no contamination.

The black fluid looking stuff (dark red) is proably the liquid gasket maker that was used. You might want to get under jeep with a flash light and make sure those aren't cracks. Their probaly just the casting marks, but since I/we can't see it I would double check just to make sure. Run your hands over them, you'll be able to tell a crack from a casting mark. Just my two pennies though, hope it helps.......

here is a pic of what I am dealing with. the fluid is not coming out of the "cracks" rather from around the seal area.

The t/c fluid checked from the fill plug is bright red.

attachment.php

or
pic: www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=561153

jeepxj_1523.jpg

pic of the stuff today
i noticed when I manually turned the shaft the seal would spin inside the housing and stayed stationary around the yoke, so im guessing it could actually be ground up black rubber + ATF I am seeing since the seal is supposed to work opposite way, stationary in the housing and the yoke spins around inside of it

so those cracks are not supposed to be there?

Back