• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

intake thought....

Codeman

NAXJA Forum User
So after reading several posts and write ups on rerouting the air intake from the box through the cowl area under the wipers, I did it....and then I had a thought. I know there is alot of pressure in that area infront of the windshield, and I was wondering if it would make a difference if someone were to put a "scoop" over that area. Would it really increase the ram effect? (I know I would have to solve the problem of the wiper fluid squirter things, but that's no biggie) Anyone ever try this, or have any Ideas on it?

I would think that you would have to make one, cause I doubt anyone makes one. One thought though, is that it might hit the windshield wippers, so it would have to be in the center. There are some that are made for the Wranglers, is that what your talking about? But I think that one is for cold air, not intake.

i was thinking of doing the same thing with my cowl [i was the author of "another cowl induction idea", if you read it]. i was going to desine mine to alow the wipers to retract in to the scoop [rember the opening will need to face the windshild, 'cause the air flows down off the windshild]. i don't know when i will get this done because i lost access to the sheet metal break i was going to use for the fabracation. i will have to call the guy and see where he moved his business too. if the washer nozles become a problem you could get a set from a car that has them attached to the wiper arm. i did that to a van i had cause it had a sun viser on the roof and the fluid would not reach the windshild when going over 60 mph. if you like the looks of the sun visers you could install one of those and that would greatly improve the ram effect into the cowl. although they catch alot of wind if you do a lot of interstate driving.

so the air flows down off the windshield? that doesnt make sense to me. I do a lot of highway driving. I don't mean to attach the scoop directly to the air tube, but to direct more air into the cowl. I think scooby knows what Im talking about, but I would think it would face the front of the vehicle, not the rear...? My squirters don't work right now anyway, so I need to replace them.

Codeman said:
so the air flows down off the windshield? that doesnt make sense to me. I do a lot of highway driving. I don't mean to attach the scoop directly to the air tube, but to direct more air into the cowl. I think scooby knows what Im talking about, but I would think it would face the front of the vehicle, not the rear...? My squirters don't work right now anyway, so I need to replace them.
it dosn't make sense to me either but thats how it flows. if you tape some pieces of paper to your windshield and drive down the highway you'll see. thats what i will try to accomplish with my scoop when ever i get time to do it. are you shure the squirters are bad or maby the pump is bad.

Hye - cool idea.

Need water injection for your high comp engine? Just wash the windshield.

LOL

Sorry, still working on my first coffee of the day...

r@m

so if it faced the rear of the xj, you wouldn't have to worry about covering the squirters or hiting the wipers, depending on the way you made it. Unless they dont work....One does, and the other dribbles. Any thoughts on how to do this, other than buying some steel and making it (which really woulndt be that hard. It could attach at the screws for the cowl itself...hmmm- wheels are turning.....

Back