• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 XJ - need to ID everything

1986xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
Was here before but must have been away too long and it made me reregister. Had been looking for an XJ then and was looking at some early Waggy limited's. Finally just bought an 86 Cheif, has had a 3.4 crate motor profesionally swapped in about 50k ago and the ba10/5 rebuilt by aamco about 30k ago. I'm just needing pointed in the right direction for a site to verify what axles and tcase should be under it. I'm guessing 30 non disco front, 35 non c clip rear, and the np 207 tcase.
Can I throw lock out hubs on the front axle or do I need the Warn $$$ kit?
This one I bought for basic transportation in the short run.... mods may come later.. but I doubt anything too radical. That what my CJ is for ;)
I'll have plenty more ???'s I'm sure once I get it home this weekend.
Thanks,
Mike B.

ok I'll try.....

The tranny should be a ax-5. Assumeing it is the original 5 speed. The BA did not appear untill 87 and was behind the 4.0L nto the 2.5 or 2.8! Axles are easy to a point. The 86 had a 35 rear non c clip and a 30 front. However, some were disco and some were not. it depends on the T/c. Now is yours a 207 or 228/229. That depends on if you have full time or not. If the shifter is 2wd, 4hi, N, 4Lo then it is a 207 or command track and will have a disco front. If it is a 228/229 it is a full time without the disco. HTH and hope I got it all right! Any questions just ask!

According to here it looks like the 87 thing only appies to the YJ's http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/trans/ba10.html
The tranny he was sure of, it's the tcase and if it has a disco front I am mostly wondering about. Was the 229 available with a 5 speed or just behind an automatic? I'm going to ask him to crawl under it and look when I next talk to him but I get the feeling he won't know what I'm asking him :rolleyes: I was hoping not to have to deal with the disco axle....
Mike B.

The '86 XJ V-6 used either a T-5 or an AX-5, it did not use the BA-10/5. The BA-10/5 won't bolt up to the V-6 block.

Not certain, but I assume back then as later the Selec-Trac transfer cases were offered only with the automatic, which means the t-case is most likely an NP207 and the front axle is probably a disconnect.

Ok, I guess the guy was going by that webpage and not actually looking at it...
Another question then, I was planning now on bringing it home on a tow dolly instead of driving it home so I didn't have to round up a 2nd driver. In the pictures of and info I can find on the 207 it looks like it is a slip yoke tcase, I suppose that means I can't pull the rear driveshaft without losing all the fluid out of the tcase? Or I guess I could wire the yoke in place once the shaft was out..... or would putting it in neutral be sufficient.... I really didn't want to drag a trailer all the way over to pick it up (350 miles each way)
Thanks for the help guys.... I'm used to working with CJ's and older Ford trucks so it'll take a few weeks for the XJ stuff to sink in :rolleyes:
Mike B.

I believe that the 207 is one of the last t/c with the oiler on the shaft or something like that. In other words I was told with the 207 you can flat tow or dolly without haveing to remove the driveshaft. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong! Eagle you know?

i really really doubt it has a 207 case, i have a 86 and have always been under the understanding that they came with either a 228 or a 229 that year, no other options..... could be wrong. just what i was told.

homey_15 said:
i really really doubt it has a 207 case, i have a 86 and have always been under the understanding that they came with either a 228 or a 229 that year, no other options..... could be wrong. just what i was told.

I have the '86 FSM. The 228 and 229 were both used that year as "Selec-Trac" transfer cases. The "Command-Trac" case was the 207.

I believe to tow it you put the tranny in gear and the transfer case in neutral.

If you are unsure about towing, disconnect the d-shaft at the rear axle instead of at the t-case. Just make sure to secure it up in a fashion that will insure that it does'nt fall out of the t-case.

forgiven said:
If you are unsure about towing, disconnect the d-shaft at the rear axle instead of at the t-case. Just make sure to secure it up in a fashion that will insure that it does'nt fall out of the t-case.

True, I suppose a few bungee cords will do the trick.
Mike B.

Back