• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 xj won't start

x2see

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 87 xj that won't start I dont thank it is getting any spark so I got a new coil but still no good got gas what else could it be? please help.

CPS is common for no start.Some have just un plugged and re plugged,which means connector is not contacting properly.

Engine type is helpful,EFI or carb ?

Ill assume 4.0 motor w/auto ?CPS is located on top drivers side of tranny with the connector coming up to rear of valve cover.I beleive 87 setup is the same as my 90.Type in a search CPS sensor,should be dozens of links.

Hope that helps,gotta go, be back late tonight.

Take off your dist cap and watch it while someone cranks it. If it's not moving, the gear at the bottom of the distriutor is broken. (more common than you think) If it is moving, probly a bad cps.

OK here is the weird thing it work's some time. I was trying to find out what the problem is and for some resend it worked then it stop then it worked again is there something else I'm missing that could cause this? I'm talking about the coil sometimes it will fire and some times not it does the same with the new coil and the old.

thank you thank you it was just a bad connection on the cps unplugged it and blew it out the it started right up thanks. now another ? for you my temp Gage doesn't work. when you start up it goes all the way over then when it starts it goes back down and the heater works good so I know the temp is good, could this be a bad sending unit?

the temp sensor is in the back of the head near the CPS connector... you probably knocked if off reaching around back there

Back