• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear oil and detroit locker (nospin)

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, I was at Kragen yesterday and picked up some gear oil (a big bucket) ata really good price. Anyways it's 75-140 synthetic valvoline .... with a limited slip aditive (I didn't realize the last part till I got it home). Is there any harm to using that? Will the additive do anything bad? or will it make no difference one way or the other as its not a limited slip.

Yeah there is no harm, in fact many compainies will actually add the LSD stuff sometimes to prevent dummies from frying their clutches if they don't know its there. But by running it with a Detriot won't do anything. I perfer Mobile 1 synthetic 90, but its up to you.

MSHarnett said:
Yeah there is no harm, in fact many compainies will actually add the LSD stuff sometimes to prevent dummies from frying their clutches if they don't know its there. But by running it with a Detriot won't do anything. I perfer Mobile 1 synthetic 90, but its up to you.
I used to run valvoline durablend cause I didn't wanna fork out the money for Mobil 1... and now that I was @ Kragen I asked if they had the durablend in a pale. The guy brought out a big 5 gallon thing and since they couldn't find a barcode or part number that matched their comp they scanned the plain ol' valvoline and I ended up with 5gl of synthetic (not durablend but full synthetic) valvoline for $40 :D So I guess I'll stick with it for a while :D

Kejtar said:
I used to run valvoline durablend cause I didn't wanna fork out the money for Mobil 1... and now that I was @ Kragen I asked if they had the durablend in a pale. The guy brought out a big 5 gallon thing and since they couldn't find a barcode or part number that matched their comp they scanned the plain ol' valvoline and I ended up with 5gl of synthetic (not durablend but full synthetic) valvoline for $40 :D So I guess I'll stick with it for a while :D

Hey sounds good, maybe its time for me to switch to Vavoline, thanks for the input.

Good deal, but what are you going to do with all that oil? Are you going to sell it to us here at NAXJA? :dunno: :rolleyes:

Big Red said:
Good deal, but what are you going to do with all that oil? Are you going to sell it to us here at NAXJA? :dunno: :rolleyes:
hmm lets see IIRC the fully synthetic 75 140 runs about $15 a qt..... so how does $8.0/qt sound? :D

Kejtar said:
hmm lets see IIRC the fully synthetic 75 140 runs about $15 a qt..... so how does $8.0/qt sound? :D

Sounds reasonable enough. I have a dana 30 with arb/dana 44 with full detroit. I also have a 98' zj & 94' yj & my bro Nate just bought a 91' xj so I'm sure we'd use it. Is this thick enough gear oil for an off-road/high stress situation? What's the price on a gallon $10? :laugh3: Do you use a funnel or grease gun etc to fill the diff without those handy dandy quart sizes with the nice pointy thingy?

Big Red said:
Sounds reasonable enough. I have a dana 30 with arb/dana 44 with full detroit. I also have a 98' zj & 94' yj & my bro Nate just bought a 91' xj so I'm sure we'd use it. Is this thick enough gear oil for an off-road/high stress situation? What's the price on a gallon $10? :laugh3: Do you use a funnel or grease gun etc to fill the diff without those handy dandy quart sizes with the nice pointy thingy?
I'm looking into getting a small pump to put on top of it in (saw one at buddy's place and it works out perfect).

I read somewhere recently that most of the so-called synthetic lubes are not fully synthetic. Has to do with some law suit that a company won...

I need to find that article as right now it is just a bunch of SPOBI.

Fergie

Back