• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof rack mounting question

XJeacdabnow

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got my hands on a surco roof rack. What is the best way to install these things to the roof. Should I go with the gutter mounts or the oe roof rack attachment feet. What is involved in installing this thing to the oe roof rack? Thanks in advance for the info...:cheers: :dunno:

Mounted to the OE rack is going to be stronger especialy if you plan on putting a tire up there. I have seen a guy with gutter rail mounts that had a 31 inch tire on the rack, he hit a large dip and the force flatend the gutter mounts. I have mine gutter mounted and I think it sits too high, but I don't have a OE rack.

great, oe mounts it is. Thanks foe the info!

Sorry, but I can't say I agree...

I have my rack and all equip on it (31" tire, highlift and occasionally a mtn bike) gutter mounted. The roof capacity is around 150lbs though the guttermount capacity is around 300lbs. That is the first I've ever heard of anyone marring their guttermounts from stress other than laterally. Depending on the weight you want to carry you can go eitherway, but I always try to err on the side of caution so I would recommend the gutter mounts.

here's s a shot of my rack with my tire, high lift and 180lb friend on it :)

monkeyboy.jpg

I would have to agree with Skorpyo, the gutter mounts should withstand alot of weight without problems. I fabbed up some of my own mounts and so far the gutter rails are like new.

Gutter mounts!!!!! Ihad my Surco mounted to the OE rack along with a 31' and hated it. It squeeked all the time and the bolts kept coming loose. Of course the rack itself pretty much sucked, I had to fab up a brace just to hold the spare. My advise...do like i did, ditch the Surcrap, save up some money(it took me 6 months),
and buy a Warrior Products rack w/ gutter mounts! Just like Skorpyo, a friend and I both have gutter mounted racks we can stand on.

I went OE rack mounts. My reason was that I live in a wet area, and rust is a big concern of mine. Gutter mounts over time may chip away at the paint on the gutter rail, and leave them vulnerable to rusting. The OE mounts are real solid. I've had no problems with them.

I use my rack to mostly carry light weight items (tents, sleeping bags, etc). The gutter mounts may supposively handle more weight (true or not, I'm not sure), but I don't want to be carrying too much weight up top so as not to make my XJ top heavy and unstable. The heavy items go in the back.

Ivan

Back