• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 lube levels and pinion angles

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I popped open the cover on my d44 last night to check it out after the roll and to install my HP D44 cover. With the new cover I easily poured in 2.5qts and I could still fit probably another quart..... which makes me start to wonder: at which point there is too much lube? Reason I'm asking is that currently I have a 2* shim but I can already see that with the new leafs I will have to change the shim to something bigger (eyeballing it looks like 6*). This will raise the snout of the pumpkin raising it out of oil level, so should I draw a "line" from where the pinion gear is more or less and fill to there?

David Taylor said:
To bad it doesn't have a "Dip" stick for you.
Try filling it up till it runs out the hole and call it good.
I thought about that but I remember someone mentioning that too much oil in the diff is not that good either.

Kejtar said:
I thought about that but I remember someone mentioning that too much oil in the diff is not that good either.

Start with zero lube and see how long it lasts.

Then try adding a quart and so on and so on... when it keeps going you have enough lube.

Or you can try filling it with gear oil until it flows out of the fill hole.

:D

hinkley

Put a quart and a half in there and call it good. No need to get so technical about it.
:01of5:

Kejtar,

Yes too much oil can be bad. It will foam and then all the pinion bearing gets is foam.

I run a high filler cover on the rear D-44 (Stainless cover). ANd have 2 degree shims.

Put the two quarts in as normal, then add a little over 1/2 quart more. Try to stay below the full one additional quart.

I filled mine to the top when I installed it this winter, Ran it for the break in period and drained it. It was Very foamy. refilled to just a little over the additional 1/2 quart, and ended up running a river in June, so I drained it, It looked fine. That's where I get the 1/2 quart extra or so. Just enough so the oil slinger for the front pinion bearing can pick up oil to move to the yoke end, but not so much that it gets churned by the gears.

Oh yeah, that's the other part, the pinion has an oil slinger on the rear of the shaft. That;s how the pinion gets bathed.

Hope that helps.

Derik

Mine takes a Gallon so quit yer b!tchin ;) Then it just spews out the pinion seal until its at the right level :D

What was the question again?

xjrugger said:
i just back up on a slight incline with the front meats level and fill it thataway
Well it's slightly different in my case as I have the HP front cover in the rear which allows by the looks of it for going maybe as high as 3.5qts.... so if I do the incline then oh... 4 qts?

Mark Hinkley said:
Start with zero lube and see how long it lasts.

Then try adding a quart and so on and so on... when it keeps going you have enough lube.

Or you can try filling it with gear oil until it flows out of the fill hole.

hinkley

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Kejtar said:
Well it's slightly different in my case as I have the HP front cover in the rear which allows by the looks of it for going maybe as high as 3.5qts.... so if I do the incline then oh... 4 qts?

I now I see what your problem is....

Put the old cover back on and fill it until it flows out the hole...

Then remove the cover and save the GEAR OIL....

Then re-install the HP cover and put the GEAR OIL you got from the right cover back in.

Your done.

This is a very Kejtar way of doing something, it should work out just fine for you...

hinkley

Back