• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Decisions....

What to buy

• Armor

Votes: 56 65.1%
  • Gears

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Winch

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • Exhaust

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters

Cherokee91Red

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I was just able to free up around 700 dollars. Now my dillemma. What should I buy with all that money? I have a winch bumper but no winch, should I go that route. I have no armor besides factory and the bumper, should I beef up the undercarriage and rockers? Or get my ring and pinion for 4.56's. Last thing I could think of would be an exhaust. Appreciate any and all thoughts and opinions.
-Thx

Armor first.

T-case skid and gas tank skid are a MUST have.

You can always have a buddy pull you out of trouble, but it's a long walk home with a broken T-case housing.

And it's possible to get both skid plates and a winch for 700 smackers. That way you can pull your self out.

rocker skids and gears/lockers fall 4th and 5th respectivley.

My vote!

Derik

If you want to keep your XJ looking decient, get rock rails!
Gas tank skid is next.
Skids and armour first!
They will pay for them selves over and over again!

if you wheel without others a winch is worth its weight in gold, if you do have someone to pull you out, i would get rails and skids and you might have some money left over to put towards a winch.

SeanR has the best suggestions.

Seriously, absolutely, positively, the first mod that any XJ needs prior to offroading is rocker skids. Then tcase skid and gas tank.

Don't go overboard with lockers, winch, etc. before armor.

ChiXJeff said:
SeanR has the best suggestions.

Seriously, absolutely, positively, the first mod that any XJ needs prior to offroading is rocker skids. Then tcase skid and gas tank.

Don't go overboard with lockers, winch, etc. before armor.
Yup, get rock railsand then rest of the skids. Although the gas tank skid should be cheap (look for a stock one in the boneyard).

Then start saving for gears and lockers as they will help you out a lot. Winch? I'd get that as one of the last things.

Agreed....lockers, beefy axles, a winch.....they all give your vehicle much more ability, and a sense of confidence to you...that is untill you take the XJ further than your armor will allow and smack down on a rock making your door not open! for $700 you should be able to get full armor and maybe have a few dollars left over for gas. Good luck.

Its hard to really say without knowing what kind of wheeling you do, if you live in an area like mine then a winch is more important that locker protection (a lot more bottomless mud than rocks) but if you like 10 minutes from moab or something I would recommend some armor.

Ok, so with the vote for armor I have come up with a t-case skid from Rusty's, rockers and front diff guard from rocky road outfitters. This sound good enough for now?
I have a factory gas tank skid by the way. I have my sights set on the xd9000i so I won't be able to get this and armor :flamemad:

sounds good, got enough left over to toss a lunchbox locker at that front diff

You'll like rusty's t-case skid. Painted mine red just to see what impacts it might take. First time out, no less than 4,1/2 inch wide strips of missing paint.

ANd that was on a moderate trail running 32 inch tires.

Last time out with the 35's running trail 5 at Roush creek, If I didn't have that plate steel under there, I would have had to come home 80 feet at a time. :shiver:

Cherokee91Red said:
Alright, just ordered all my stuff. Now I can start saving for gears. Does the cycle ever end? :banghead:
LOL nope.... and then when you're done something stupid might happen and you'll have to start over again :D

People alway say that you should get rocker protection first, but I disagree. I would rather cruck a rocker ( cosmetic) thatn puncture my gas tank ( boom! )
Plus, In the most serius wheeling I hit my gas tank skid allot more than my rockers ( never touched a rocker. lots of scrapes and small dents in my gas tank skid )

ramsey 8.5e for $400 i have it and love it. it has pulled my friends and i out of many stuck spots except for the slow line speed it is a great winch for the money i don't see the point of buying a monster winch when you can slap a snatch block in the system and double your pulling power. o yea i like the rock lizard fab t-case skit it is awsome i have it and love it as well if i were you i would chop/cover your rockers with some angle iron

Back