• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Very Noisy on Highway

DannyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
In my 91 XJ I have lots of air noise on the highway. There are also two distinct buzzes that seem to be coming from the front windshield supports. One of the buzzes is pretty constant on the driver's side while the other only makes noise when I get up to 80 or if there is wind outside. Does anyone know of a solution for these problems.

Pull your door panels and see if someone removed the plastic sealing film from inside. It helps reduce wind infiltration. Check under the rugs and see if they maybe removed the insulation from under them. That thin wall really deadens sound coming in. Check the fire wall for missing or worn wire/hose grommets. Silicone them if leaking too much, unless something is sliding through one that is. Check for missing insulation behind the inner body panels, including the rear hatch. Seal up any holes in the tunnel under the center console. Check to see if rust has opened up the bottom of the windshield posts or the upper inner back of the fenders right under them.

Try doing the speed limit and see if that helps.

Seriously though, check all your exterior trim, I'm sure it's just a loose piece.

Second the windshield

I had the same buzz from my windshield pillar. Try taping it over with some speed tape and if it goes away then seal it or replace the trim. Don't know about 80 mph cause my 2.5l hasn't gotten there yet!:D

Danny,

My '92 has the same buzz on the drivers side. When I removed the windshield trim to paint it, I discovered one to the retaining clips was not engaging the trim piece. It is the one at where the vertical and horizontal pieces connect and I think it gets wind in there and they vibrate together. Of course I didn't get a new one before I put things back together and it still buzzes. I swear, I'm my own worst enemy! Hope this helps.

Bill

I removed all the windshield trim and found a majority of the clips broken. The buzz went away with no trim. Bought new clips at the dealer. $1.31 per clip and it takes 28.

Back