• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do you see any issues

Silverxj2000

NAXJA Forum User
In attempt to prevent my tires (235/70 R16) rubbing in the rear I have decided to do a small lift. I have searched the post and compiled all the knowledge and this is what I came up with. I have a 2000 XJ/Command Track. The rear end sags 1", thus wanting to fix it. I would like to put 1" Poly Spacers in the front, and then a Full Lenght add a leaf in the rear (approx 2-2.5" of lift to my understanding). Would I need to extend any brake lines, and replace any the OEM Shocks immediately? Any warnings, words of advice?

Thanks

Silverxj2000 said:
In attempt to prevent my tires (235/70 R16) rubbing in the rear I have decided to do a small lift. I have searched the post and compiled all the knowledge and this is what I came up with. I have a 2000 XJ/Command Track. The rear end sags 1", thus wanting to fix it. I would like to put 1" Poly Spacers in the front, and then a Full Lenght add a leaf in the rear (approx 2-2.5" of lift to my understanding). Would I need to extend any brake lines, and replace any the OEM Shocks immediately? Any warnings, words of advice?

Thanks

AALs are OK. But if you're going to have to remove the springs to put them on, just go with a new spring pack that'll give you a nice 2" lift. A new spring pack is much better than AALs. I'd go and put in and extended brake line and get rid of the OEM shocks.

I think the best advice is to install a real lift kit. A 3" would give you the clearance you need, give you new springs all around and cull the need for more lift that you'd get after just installing the 2".

where would I get these poly bushings? Does anyone sell them as an upgrade kit? Or do i have to buy the bushings for each area seperately? I know about them, but never decided to get them (motor mounts, shackles, etc.) No i am lifting my XJ, and hadn't even thought of them...

pabloconrad said:
replace all your front end bushings to poly

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Yeah,poly's "Great"!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you like road noise,"Go Poly".If you like squeaking bushings,"Go Poly".If you dont mind giving up flex or you dont have any suspension binding,"Go Poly".If you enjoy changing out bushings every couple month's,"Go Poly"!

Last edited:
Poly bushings flex better then jonny joints..... ;) :p

ahhh, i see... i thought that there was a reason that i did not look into the poly bushings, mounts, etc... Now it is all coming back to me...

pabloconrad said:
Oh yeah,

After installation, get your front end aligned and replace all your front end bushings to poly. More stable and less chance for the dreaded "death wobble."

So you want a 1in lift, and this guy tells you to just go ahead and get a lift kit that replaces everything, extend the brakelines, replace the shocks, and change every front end bushing to poly? Hmm, sounds like a pretty shitty answer to your question-expensive too. I just did a 2in BB on my brother's 96 XJ, I have about 4.25in on mine, and have lifted pleanty of others. You will not need extended brakelines, and you will not need new shocks. If you stick a 2in AAL in the back, expect it to start out at over 3in(depending on brand) then settling down to about 2in after some use. If you disconnect the swaybars and flex it out, the back will probably be limited by the shocks. Go ahead and get a 1in spacer, and an AAL and be done with it-until inchitis sets in.

Well if his rear end is sagging the AAL (even full length) is just prolonging the obvious failure (I had a pack become S shaped due to AAL and gettging "tired out").
Anyways I think the answer to the question is that there are many thing that can be done: it all depends of what the ultimate goal is. Also brakes... in the rear I had to go to a YJ brakehose cause the AAL got the rear to the point that when I flexed it I was on the verge of ripping it off. On the front though I agree that you shouldn't need longer ones: just unbolt them and straighten them out to go parallel to the shocks.

Bushings: I had poly bushings in the rear for a week and they drove me up the wall! My stereo didn't crank up high enough to get rid of the noise.

Shocks... well it all depends. IMHO the answer to that question should be reserved till you actually bolt everything up and see how long the shocks are at their "resting" spot vs how long they need to be for uncompressed and so on. And even then you can do JKS BPE's to give yourself a little bit of extra length.

Big DaveXJ said:
So you want a 1in lift, and this guy tells you to just go ahead and get a lift kit that replaces everything, extend the brakelines, replace the shocks, and change every front end bushing to poly? Hmm, sounds like a pretty shitty answer to your question-expensive too. I just did a 2in BB on my brother's 96 XJ, I have about 4.25in on mine, and have lifted pleanty of others. You will not need extended brakelines, and you will not need new shocks. If you stick a 2in AAL in the back, expect it to start out at over 3in(depending on brand) then settling down to about 2in after some use. If you disconnect the swaybars and flex it out, the back will probably be limited by the shocks. Go ahead and get a 1in spacer, and an AAL and be done with it-until inchitis sets in.

Silverxj2000 said:
Thanks for all the good advice. I am trying to do this as cheap as possible. The home brew lift was very interesting and something for me to consider.

Don't waste your money one a full leaf pack for just 2". I think you have the right idea to do it cheap and just follow the article on the rocklizard site.

Many have found XJ leaf packs at P&P's, and added them to there existing leaf pack rather successfully. The main issue with the OEM packs is the main leaf is very thin, if you take another main leaf, cut the ends off it and add it to your pack, you'll have a much stronger pack. The front is easy for 2", 2" spacer and call it good.

Welcome to the beginning stages of the disease! You may want to think about driveline vibes too with a 2000 XJ. A 1" t-case drop will fix that cheap. Good luck!

Back