• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking for bolt on to keep me alive

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for some sort of bolt in semi cage to keep me from dying if i turn my jeep over. Really I just want some sort of hoop with maybe a little more. I think rustys has something, but i am not sure if it is just a bar or what. Dont want to weld anything into my car, unless i have to. are there any options out there. thanks.

yeah i am expecting plenty of :flame: but i might get a few good responses

wow that was almost exactly what i was looking for. seems like it would be a good starter, and one day down the road it could be welded up and reinforced. any opinions on this bolt in cage.

If I was to ever put a cage into my XJ, it would be something oriented to the A pillar, with the B pillar, being secondary (but also necessary to a slightly lesser degree).
Most every XJ, rollover I´ve seen, the roof collapsed in the area of the windshield, back to the B pillar. Windshield pillar, seems to be the weakest area.
My second job, was night tow truck driver. Seen a few XJ rollovers.
Also seen more than a few people, crack there skulls, on the roll cage. Street racers (and off-roaders), with a cage tend to push it just a little too far, on occasion. False security?
Have also seen the seat belt, mounts, come out of the body, with a piece of floorboard still attached. Or the seatbelts, tear, after being weakened by the son (UV) and ozone. Or brained by a tool box. Sometimes the cage is kind of academic.

The thing that aggro's me the most on threads like these is the mentality of "a minimal improvment is still better than nothing".

I think this is irresponsible and dangerous, based on exactly the word you just used, 8mud.....that is a FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY.

rollcages should not be "minumal" or "better than nothing"

they better damn well be disaster-proof.

and the folks that are still under some ridiculous impression that they'll have some kind of control under what conditions thier rollcage will be tested need to wake up.

What I was kind of talking around. IMHO, is that rollover protection is kind of a package deal. To this day, I have a vivid mental picture of a CJ, with a very good full cage, go over a steep incline (near cliff). The body seperated from the frame, but the cage (and body) held it´s intergrity. Stock seat belts, caught both front seat passengers around the knees, centrifigal force, kept there heads above the roll bar.
Personally, I´d put in 4 (5) point harnesses, have a helmet handy and armor the gas tank. Put in a padded cage that addressed the passenger compartment, but was perhaps modular, so it could be expanded for frame integrity (as a secondary function).
From personal experience, I was seriously brained once (when I should have had a helmet on) and on another occasion, submarined out of a stock seat belt and trashed my knees. Have also walked away from a few, when things worked out well and everything functioned properly.
Funny the old YJ, stock roll bar, didn´t do a very good job of supporting the windshield either.

i stayed out of the thread last time, but not this time. the main thing most did not like was the bushing as a way to hook the cage together. i raced late model stock in the 80s and we used leaf spring in the rear, 20+ years in driving, fire & rescue service and other times on wreck secenes i have never seen the spring eye bushing fail, never. so the chance of the my cage failing in a roll over is about the same as any other type of joint failing, i have seen welded cages fail, so quote Beezil "the rollcages should not be "minumal" or "better than nothing"" does not apply here

pabloconrad said:
Another option is to be careful while driving.

that will only get you so far.

I still feel that some kind of support is better than nothing, and i dont see anything wrong with that. I would like some more people to chime in on this though.

I´d kind of keep in mind the strengths and weaknesses of the XJ and think out a cage accordingly. The "A" piller might need thicker (diameter and/or wall thickness) pipe because of the bends and because the body is weak in that area anyway.
I´d look at the floor mount really close and see if it couldn´t be tied into or integrated into the frame some way.
See guys use triangulation often, but corner gussets are often overlooked.
In the early seventies, worked for a company, building roll cages for CAT´s. CAT sent out some engineers, to get us started. One good thing they did, was to take the whole shop, to a rollover site and everybody would do a lessons learned. Learned the bends, corners and bases, were generally the weak spots. Also learned to build in some crush, to absorb some of the energy.

So how does something lie this affect the strength? Would a bend in the tubing be better?

dsc02059.jpg

dsc02056.jpg

Most rollovers I´ve seen (either one side or both) the top front door corner, popped out, taking away some of the windshield piller support, the windshield folded back towards the front seats. If your straped back into the seat tight, chances are you might be OK, the "B" pillar (in the four door) seems to hold up well, in slow to moderate roll overs.
Guess the only way to know for sure, is to do physical tests and see what happens.
Wonder what the manufactures do with the "A" piller in convertables? A study of the engineering, from the factory, might be helpful.

basalt51 said:
So how does something lie this affect the strength? Would a bend in the tubing be better?

The entire front section is only as strong as the joint on top of the lower tube. That flat section will put a LOT of stress on the metal. The welds, gussets and metal better be top quality or it's almost useless.

Bent tubing would be a slight improvement due to reducing leverage and no joint, but again the entire front section is only as good as the strength in the bend.

If your thinking of dropping some coin on a bolt, just drop some coin on a custom welded tube cage. I am guessing when it it said and done, the price will be close. Look up local fabricators and see what kind of work they have done. Look for a guy who has done Drag race stuff that passes NHRA inspection. If he can pass that, then he can build some tough cages. If you "think" you need a cage, then you shouldnt be worried about it being welded in.
Luda

Back