• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which version of Dexron III/Mercon for tranny?

I've read here and other places to use only ones with the certification number on it. After reading all the labels at AZ and Advance, only Advance's house brand had a certification number listed. Castrol said something close to "certified by the major manufacturers", but even their web site didn't go into any more detail, and the rest said something like "surpasses other Dexron III fluids" or "recommended for all Dexron fluid applications".

Bearing in mind that in marketing what ISN'T said is more important than what is, and that the certification number is only 6 or 7 characters, there must be some reason they don't brag about that or list it too... at least in the fine print.

If the advice is correct, look for the number. Let us know if you find any other brands willing to put it on the bottle too. I'm not a fan of house brands usually... :looney:

Not sure. I am familiar with the local Ford dealer though. Even though Ford recommends their fluids, and their motor oil is very good, the dealer got a contract with a local supplier of cheap fluids and greases. You couldn't even buy the motorcraft stuff at the parts counter...

Some dealers around here offer lifetime free oil changes when you buy their car. I have to think - what is the COST of that deal to the buyer?? Cheap oil replaced no earlier than the recommended 5000-7000 mile interval... Of course they push that as being worth big bucks. :wierd:

Sorry to ramble... That's all I know about the dealer. I move to the other side of the street when I drive by one.:puke:

I asked a lot of questions about this a few months back, and I couldn't find a single bottle of ATF in town between 5 different parts stores that actually listed cert. numbers. I went on recommendations I received here and used Valvoline DexronIII/Mercon and it's been doing great.

Back