• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No spark

AndyS

NAXJA Forum User
'94 XJ 4.0 stick. Went to the corner store, came back outside, and Jeep just cranks and cranks, no spark to the plugs. There appears to be power to the coil, but no output. Does this sound like a CPS failure? Is it possible to test the CPS at the connector on top of the intake? Thanks -

Could also be a ground connection. Try taking a jumper cable from battery neg to the coil frame or such. See if it starts that way. If so (seen it happen) it's grounding.

Also try disconnecting the CPS connector and reconnecting it. Seems to be the other reason for no starts...

Those both sound like easy and possible solutions - this motor hold oil like a cheesecloth.

Any other suggestions as how to test the cps from the connector itself?

Well, the motor isn't hot anymore - it crapped out last night and it's been sitting all night...

If I crank the motor and use an ohmmeter on the end of the connector for the CPS, should I see a pulse signal for every revolution?

I don't know if it will help you, but I just had a similar problem on a '98 and there are some good tips on the thread that I started, called "Jeep No Start"
Mine turned out being the crank position sensor.

Cool - thanks for the tip!

Back