• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 conversion

hadAjeep

NAXJA Forum User
This is my first post on here and I don't even have a jeep. My friend has a 91 jeep comanche he got from his father in law with 30,000 miles on it. His computer is stuck in ultralow range so I have to ask questions for him. His jeep is a 4.0 with a Dana 44 2 wheel drive 5 speed. It has 3.73's and an LSD, not sure which one. What we've figured out so far is he want's to keep the 3.73's and go with a LOW range transfer case, like 4:1. We know he needs a new front axle but we're not sure what would work, or where to get one. Dana 30, dana 35, dana 44, I don't know. IF it sounds like I'm asking broad questions, I am. I don't know much about this and I'm looking for any help I can get. I'm logged in as hadAjeep because I did have one, until I was 15 and my mom sold it before I ever got to drive it. That was 12 years ago and I still don't have a jeep. Thanks.

hadAjeep said:
This is my first post on here and I don't even have a jeep. My friend has a 91 jeep comanche he got from his father in law with 30,000 miles on it. His computer is stuck in ultralow range so I have to ask questions for him. His jeep is a 4.0 with a Dana 44 2 wheel drive 5 speed. It has 3.73's and an LSD, not sure which one. What we've figured out so far is he want's to keep the 3.73's and go with a LOW range transfer case, like 4:1. We know he needs a new front axle but we're not sure what would work, or where to get one. Dana 30, dana 35, dana 44, I don't know. IF it sounds like I'm asking broad questions, I am. I don't know much about this and I'm looking for any help I can get. I'm logged in as hadAjeep because I did have one, until I was 15 and my mom sold it before I ever got to drive it. That was 12 years ago and I still don't have a jeep. Thanks.
Run a seach as this was coever before but in general you'd have to:
1. get a front axle, probably dana 30 (that would allow for a bolt in swap)
2. get a transmission and transfer case (best gotten as a combo so that they match and they drop in as one piece) and appropriate transfer case linkage.
3. get new driveshafts (Front and rear as your lengths change).
I think that's about it....
ANd in regards to the low range TCase look into either the Rubicon 241 or into an atlas.

Pretty much what Kejtar said, except that I find the specs puzzling. I don't think Chrysler was putting the Dana 44 under the MJ as late as 1991, and if they did I don't think they were offering it with 3.73 gears behind a 5-speed. Be sure to double-check that ratio. It should be 3.07.

You will need to know the ratio, obviously, because the front axle has to match. The front axle out of any XJ or MJ or ZJ (Grand Cherokee through 1998) will be a direct, bolt-in fit (subject to matching gear ratio). They will all be Dana 30s.

As to transfer case, all MJs from 1987 up had 231s, with a 2.72:1 low range ratio. Unless your buddy wants to spring for an Atlas (which is not a bolt-in, it requires modifications), that's the easiest way to go. The new Wrangler Rubicon comes with a 241OR transfer case that has a 4:1 low range, but that's a new transfer case and is sold only in the Wrangler Rubicon, so your chances of finding one in a wrecking yard are slim. Another option is to buy a 231 and then install a 4:1 conversion from TeraFlex, but again you're looking at $$$$.

Assuming the limited slip in the rear axle is factory, it's a Dana Trac-Lok.

Eagle said:
The new Wrangler Rubicon comes with a 241OR transfer case that has a 4:1 low range, but that's a new transfer case and is sold only in the Wrangler Rubicon,
You can buy them separate but it's about $1600... but.... if one is looking for HD case with 4:1 and SYE, that is something worth considering.

The jeep is a dana 44. It had 3.07's, we put in 3.73's because that's all the LSD would allow. He wants a 4:1 transfer case so he can run his 3.73's and not have to buy new LSD's. Since new LSD's and gears cost about as much as a 4:1 Tcase. He's looking to drive the trails in the Sierra's and play in the sand dunes. thanks for the info so far

actually the atlas is pretty much a bolt in. it comes with an XJ shifter and the XJ adapter. the only mods necasarry are a new driveshaft. which is still bolt in.

hadAjeep said:
The jeep is a dana 44. It had 3.07's, we put in 3.73's because that's all the LSD would allow. He wants a 4:1 transfer case so he can run his 3.73's and not have to buy new LSD's. Since new LSD's and gears cost about as much as a 4:1 Tcase. He's looking to drive the trails in the Sierra's and play in the sand dunes. thanks for the info so far
Okay, than I guess we can assume he plans to run big tires. If he's set on using a 4:1 transfer case, his options are

241OR

Atlas

231 with Tera conversion (some other company also offers a 4:1 conversion, I think, but I'm drawing a blank on who)

Like you I am also new to this site, but I've been a jeep owner for several years and have gained at least a little information over the years. After 5 years wheeling my Xj I have to ask whether you're planning a major lift to run large tires. If not you might reconsider the super low transfer case. With my only pre-jeep wheeling experiences being in a friends full-size chevy with a low range just over 2:1 (2.07 or 2.08 I think), I found the Jeep NP231's 2.72:1 to be very good. This was with the high output (91-up) 4.0L, auto trans, 3.55 axles and 30" tires. While I recently upgraded to 3.73 axles, I really only did it becuase it cost me almost nothing but my time. I always placed a selectable front locker far above lower gearing on my wish list. The 4.0L is an exceptionally torquey little engine and with your 2-by you have yet to experience that torque multipled by almost 3 times, try it, you'll like it!
As for sourcing the parts you need I suggest looking for a complete early 4cyl 4x4 Xj/Mj. They are not only dirt cheap (mine cost me $300) they give you all the previously mentioned parts:transmission (4 cyl trans will bolt to 6cyl but durability may be questionable depending on trans) transfercase (NP231) front axle housing (Dana 30, 3.73 geared) driveshaft as well as all the previously unmentioned items like linkages, wiring and indicators, vacumn lines and switches and transmission tunnel (I'm not sure on that but I think you may need a small peice of the tunnel for shifter mounting). hope this helps and feel free to tell me where to go if not. Same goes for everyone else, I'm new here so tell me if I don't know diddly squat.

tchase said:
... transmission (4 cyl trans will bolt to 6cyl but durability may be questionable depending on trans)
Please expand on this statement. The 4.0L engine does NOT have the same bell housing-to-block bolt pattern as the 2.5L, which uses the small Chevy V6 pattern. Are you saying that the AX-5 tranny will bolt up the the 4.0L bell housing? If so, are the bell housing depths the same, or do you have to do something with the tranny input shaft to accomodate a deeper bell housing? And, if so, does this work with the AX-15 bell housing, the Peugeot BA10/5 bell housing, or both?

he plans on running 33's max. So I don't know how much lift it will take for those tires in an MJ. He bought a 3 in kit for the front from skyjacker and we flipped the rear axle from over the springs to under, which lifted it quite a bit. Right now it has 30's.

hadAjeep said:
he plans on running 33's max. So I don't know how much lift it will take for those tires in an MJ. He bought a 3 in kit for the front from skyjacker and we flipped the rear axle from over the springs to under, which lifted it quite a bit. Right now it has 30's.
You FLIPPED the axle? As in...right side drum is now on the left? How are those oiling issues with the pinion? :eek:

no, not left to right. It was originally over the leaf springs, we put it under the leaf springs. Gave it about 4"s of lift. Cut off the spring pads and rewelded them. Looks alot better. had to fab up some new shock mounts too.

I was hoping that's what you meant, but 'flipped the axle' sounded like some fine booty-fab way of gaining altitude without addressing other issues. Cool.

hadAjeep said:
what the heck is a lunchbox locker? saw it mentioned in another thread.
A "full" locker such as the Detroit locker comes as a complete assembly with a new carrier that you move the ring gear onto. A "lunchbox" locker takes the guts out of your existing open carrier and installs inside it. They are cheaper than full carrier lockers like the Detroit, but OEM open carries aren't as strong so the resulting locker assembly isn't as strong as a Detroit. The least expensive lunchbox lockers also don't operate as smoothly as a Detroit or even the more expensive lunchbox lockers.

I've heard those things are junk. Course I've heard that from guys in the drag racing circles. They don't like high Horsepower.

Back