• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ Hood on XJ

If I'm not mistaken, the 85 MJ hood is the same as an 85XJ. they are the same shape but the 85 has a single hood latch in the middle whereas the 87+ XJ's have the dual hood latches at the front corners to accomodate the longer 4.0L.
I never looked to see if you could retrofit the newer latches to the earlier hood, I had a newer donor sitting there, so why bother.

Tom is essentially correct, except that I don't think the length of the 4.0L was the reason for the change. Don't recall where I read it, but what I recall is that the original design allowed the front corners of the hood to flutter at highway speeds, and the change to locating the primary latches at the outer corners was to prevent that.

Eagle, it was probably for a couple of reasons, but the location of the radiator on the 4.0L, due to the longer engine put it right in the middle of the latching mechanism.

old_man said:
Eagle, it was probably for a couple of reasons, but the location of the radiator on the 4.0L, due to the longer engine put it right in the middle of the latching mechanism.
True, but the secondary latch is still there, and it has always appeared to me that there's enough space there for the old style primary latch as well.

Dunno. The key point is that physically the new hood will fit the old chassis and vice versa, but the latching needs to be addressed.

how hard is itm to do the pins anyways, I've thought that would be good especially if you could do longer pins and leave the hood unlatched with worrying bout it flying up. Seems it should be a cheap easy way to vent the hood w/o any cutting (except for the pins...)

Back