• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Amc 360 + Aw4?

CheapXJ

NAXJA Forum User
don't care about the electronics, I've got that part figured out.

physically.

will the pilot be a problem? will that little tit on the aw4 torque convertor fit a 360's flexplate? bolt pattern right? will the starter work?

how about beefing up the aw4?

all I'd need to make is motor mounts, and I'd be rockin in V8 land!

(I can get the 360 for nothin, pullin it from a running J-truck that's rotted to nothing)

how about some updated pics of the mj

um... it's sittin in the garage, covered with junk on tiny little tires...

it's kinda embarassing right now...

this is the newest wheelin pic (yes I know it's 2 months old)
DSCN0020.JPG

and w/ the YJ doors on :D
DSC01463.JPG

sorry to be hijacking your thread and all, but do you know if those yj doors will also work on a xj

that doesnt sound to encouraging

the way I mounted them, you can't put the stock doors back on. I welded tabs to the original hinges that the soft doors just drop into. anything heavier than those soft doors would probably bend the tabs I put on.

basically, it was a quick easy way I could have something that meets the PA Vehicle code's definition of a door.

those peckers fit right behind the seat :thumbup:

La law is pretty forgiving i have ran around with my doors off and had cops pull next to me at redlights, scared the crap out of me, but he did not do a thing. Mine has to be able to have the doors put back on. Looks like it is going to be half doors for me, now just to find some to use.

Oh and sorry again and i hope someone helps you out with your ?

heres a little info for ya ryan..

1989 360 wagoneer starter ACDelco reman part# 323-1047
1989 242 XJ starter ACDelco reman part# 323-1047

1989 242 torque converter (2 options)

1= 9 1/8" BOLT CIRCLE - 26 SPLINE
2= 11" DIAMETER - LOCK UP - 1.810 PILOT - 9 1/4" BOLT CIRCLE

flex plate = FRA333

1989 amc 360

TC - 10" BOLT CIRCLE - NO RING GEAR - LOCK UP

i think everything should work fine, considering the swaps with the aw4 behind the 258.

the TC from the aw4, the flex plate from the 360. if the pilot gives you issues you should be able to use one from the 258.

and of course bolt pattern is a non issue..

Back to the original question:

A friend of mine just went the opposite direction. He bought an AX-15 out of a '95 Wranger 4.0L and hooked it up to an AMC 401. Bell housing bolt pattern is the same for the 290-304-343-360-390-401 8s and for the 3.8L-4.0L-4.2L I6s. Can't answer you for sure about the protrusion, but I don't think you'll have a problem.

The starter worked for him, too, so it should work for you.

Back