• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel tank leak

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
Any of you guys ever run into a problem getting the gas tank to seal up after replacing a fuel pump. I've done tons before but this rig just keeps weaping around the bung hole. I did the factory O ring but still giving me fits. I guess I will just get a piece of neoprene a bit larger and thicker and cut it as a gasket.

I had this problem, which is one reason I have vowed I will take the tank out next time I do this. It's probably just that the O-ring has been distorted. If so, I think your best bet is just to keep trying. Eventually it will go in right, if you don't get so frustrated you put a match to the whole rig first. You might also try coating the O-ring with vaseline or something to keep the flange from dragging it out of shape.

Matthew Currie said:
Eventually it will go in right, if you don't get so frustrated you put a match to the whole rig first.
However, if you DO decide to go this option please let me know as there are some parts I'd like to swap first :D

I guess I'm going to get some sealer that will hold up to gas and goop it before I put it back together. I may get a new circular retainer from the dealer and see if it helps any. The smell on the run to Ouray gets a bit much, even for me, you should here what the wife has to say about it :rattle:

Back