• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear main oil seal

In the old days, back before most of you were born, replacing the bearings without turning the crank was a common occurance. As long as you get to it before the journals get eaten up, it can be a new lease on life for a high mileage engine with low oil pressure. If your oil pressure is fine, I don't think I would do it. Now a new oil pump is definately not a bad idea. On an older engine, a high volume pump isn't a bad idea either.

Be careful with the high volume pump I got one from NAPA and the pick up hit the pan when installed on my 97. I'm sure there is one that fits just not that one.

It kinda loooks like it's easy to take a 4.0 pan off when lifted on stands. Any hidden gotchas, or is it pretty clear and easy?

What measurements would you take to determine if you were a candidate for this quick bearing replacement? What would be numbers that would make sense, both for spec'ing the replacements and for the amount of wear presently?

Back