• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another "Clunk" Thread

DaveD912

NAXJA Forum User
First some background info: 2001 XJ Sport with 12K miles - totally stock, no ABS, Chry 8.25. I bought it two weeks ago. I looked over/under the vehicle before buying and it's in fantastic condition - no evidence of it being wheeled.
Yesterday it was raining so I decided to test the tires and get on the skinny pedal. Great traction BTW. When I let off the gas I heard/felt a clunk. My first thought was exhaust, but that doesn't seem to be able to hit anything. My next thought was axle wrap - my leafs have no arch to them and sit perfectly flat. After doing a search on this site I see that it could be the slip yoke needs greasing. Is this something the average shade tree mechanic can do with hand tools? I've got a Haynes book on order - anyone know if that covers it?

The slip yoke is real simple to grease. First, loosen/remove the band clip around the rubber boot on the output shaft of the tcase. You can leave the bigger band on the driveshaft intact.

Remove the bolts holding the ujoint straps on the rear pinion, and remove the driveshaft from the pinion. Yank the driveshaft off the tcase output shaft. Apply grease to the splines.

You can use a zip tie to hold the rubber boot back on the tcase output shaft when you are done.

Ivan

i'm not sure about greasing the yoke, but i've had the guts of my transfer case in my lap so it's gotta be easier than that. and i'm not what you would call an experienced wrencher.

but you might want to check your control arms up front. sometimes the bolts might work lose and cause this clunking.

mine did this clunk before the lift. but i'm not sure what fixed it, installing the new control arms, thus making sure they're tight, or the new driveshaft and sye for the tc.

so if you can't fix it, just lift it and it should get rid of it :D

Sounds easy enough. I prefer fixing things myself whenever possible, that way I'm sure it's done right. Thank you.

Not to worry - it will be lifted soon enough :)

If you could feel it, perhaps it's engine or transmission mounts. I had a truck that went in for warranty service once, and had a clunk a little later on. Turns out they either forgot to reinstall the transmission mount bolts, or did them so loosely that they came off.

The sister-in-law's CJ ALWAYS came back from dealer service missing some bolt, nut, or other odd item...

Back