• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem with Borla downpipe on 98 Classic

DharmaDog

NAXJA Forum User
OK, the Borla header and downpipe are installed on the XJ along with the Gibson exhaust. The downpipe is resting on the T-case crossmember and is dangerously close to the front u-joint. I can hear it hitting something (or something hitting it) occasionally while moving, usually in a turn.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any simple solution/recommendation?

FYI: other mods include Skyjacker 3" lift, Rusty's crossmember with 1" drop.

Thanks

DharmaDog said:
OK, the Borla header and downpipe are installed on the XJ along with the Gibson exhaust. The downpipe is resting on the T-case crossmember and is dangerously close to the front u-joint. I can hear it hitting something (or something hitting it) occasionally while moving, usually in a turn.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any simple solution/recommendation?

FYI: other mods include Skyjacker 3" lift, Rusty's crossmember with 1" drop.

Thanks

Post up some pictures. For specific suggestions.

This is happens and can be modded, any good muffler man should know how to do it.

hinkley

I'll take some pics now while everything is cool, but I won't be able to get them up here until tomorrow at the earliest.

Thanks for the help.

My front DS pinion hits my Borla header on occasion when stuffing the drivers side tire.

It really doesn't bother me until it makes a hole in it.... :dunno: ...which it hasn't yet...

What about having a muffler shop bend the downpipe closer to the block? Or how about heating the pipe up cherry red with a torch then putting taking a 3lbs. sledge to it for clearance? Are these possible solutions? I know I will have this problem when I redrill my trackbar to center my axle, with my 3" lift.

deskjockey said:
What about having a muffler shop bend the downpipe closer to the block? Or how about heating the pipe up cherry red with a torch then putting taking a 3lbs. sledge to it for clearance? Are these possible solutions? I know I will have this problem when I redrill my trackbar to center my axle, with my 3" lift.

That is always an option. I'd say I've still got at least an inch or two before the header actually hits the oil pan. Have a muffler shop give it a try and report back....

I had a borla header on my '92 and never had a clearance issue, but my buddy did on his '89. Since then, I got a new Borla header (old one cracked somewhere in the joint where the tubes from the individual cylinders join) and the new header definitely sits further out from the oil pan than the old unit. I put some pics up on a photo hosting place that you can check out: http://photomail.photoworks.com/sharing/album.asp?Key=1~FQQ4aBru.cI3VBzJ6E16xVjKDJQtJMh5 BTW, I installed the warrantied header into my '98 since I was selling my '92. The part numbers on the two headers were identical, but the O2 sensor locations were different. The header did fit on the '98 with no problems, but I did have to extend the O2 wiring some and the down pipe sat further out from the oil pan. This has not been a problem for me because I run a custom D44 front end that has the pumpkin shifted over to the drivers side a bit compared to the stock D30, so there seems to be adaquete clearance. Jeff

Back